How do you deal with this? Cook ware.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Listen to your Doctor:D

Eggs are cooked on a low heat and if the pan is covered that's good too. Move them around and remove when ready.

Its best not too cook eggs with anything else unless you are practiced

I second Mike's advice. However SWMBO always scrubs the kitchen pans not matter what I tell her so we do not practice proper seasoning

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bushman - as for the number of layers - to get a really good surface I'd estimate about 500 is right. Cast Iron is one of those things that just gets better with age. Dutch Ovens particularly when you have roasted in them again and again get that build up like you do in an electric oven - thats what keeps them non stick. I have an old, old skillet that I reclaimed - the outside was rusty as all get out but the inside still looked great - years of seasoning (well, decades) had prevented any moisture reaching the iron.

Agree on the eggs btw - low heat is the key

Red

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Thanks everyone, I'm really getting the pic now. I do believe my pan has a good layer of seasoning as I have seasoned it after every use since I got it, some times two or three times. Just finished doing it again with veg oil, and then with some bacon fat, it really looks the part, lovely black non stick :rolleyes: sheen.

I do tend to cook all in the pan together bacon first, then potatoes, then mushrooms, then eggs, and yes the pan would be quite hot so I imagine this is where I'm going wrong. I'll try things a little different next time, using a lot less heat and see how I get on, I will keep you posted.

Again thank you all for your input.

cheers

:)

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Well I had another attempt this morning I took the pan away from the heat and mostly used residual heat, just topping it up, it was much better. There still was a little sticking, but not much. So a few more layers and a little more practice should get me proper results.

Thank you

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I recently purchased a small cast iron frying pan, I coated it in oil and left to heat then cool down then re heat and tryed eggs in it, they were fine didn't stick and were tasty, my wife thought I was mad heating then re heating, I wiped the pan out with kitchen roll then re coated, 500 sounds like a lot of coats but I will get there.

Simon.

I'd echo PJMCbear's comments. I've worked in catering for 20 years and I always season cast iron and mild steel (Black Iron) with salt. I also use oil. Start with a thin layor of oil and when it starts to smoke, add a good thick layor of salt. leave it to heat for a good while and then work it into the metal surface. Never had a problem with sticking.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Interesting to see arguments for and against the use of salt. Now I'm totally confused!

Yes, it does get confusing. Some things tend to work better for different people. And the actual metal can vary in the pans. Plus the qantity and quality of the heat use also affects things. So it all quickly moves into the realm of a learned ... art or skill.

The big problem with salt is when it is used as a "cure" in bacon, sausage, and ham. It is then working in conjunction with the other things in that "cure". But the big culprit in them, especially bacon, is the SUGARS used to cure the meat. When you cook bacon, the fat starts to melt some, and some of the salts and sugars melt out also. Well, that sugar starts to melt, then carmalize, then burn. That all then starts to stick to the iron pan, and even soak in a bit. Then other foods will also start to stick in those spots.

Salt is good for cleaning an iron pan. It is abrasive, but not as harsh as sand. And it also absorbs some of the excess oils/grease from the metal. Somehow, it just ... balances ... things out. I'm sure that some scientist has already gotten a gov'mnt grant to determine exactly what happens.

I know of one restaurant that once a week takes their large sheet iron fry pans, cleans them thoroughly in soap and water, and then gives them a "soak" for a few minutes in their deep fat fryer - until the metal is the same temp as the fat/grease/oil. They especially do this after frying a lot of fish. That cleaning with soap and water removes all the built up gunk and smells on the surface of the pans, and the deep fat fry re-seasons them. Simple, basic, and it works for them.

So, in the end, it's all a matter of what works for you. Lots of good ideas and methods out there. Just try some out and see.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Big Mark

Banned
Oct 9, 2007
London
IF ALL ELSE FAILS

If you need to get back to the original metal to reseason from scratch I've found leaving a washing (Persil) tablet soaking in the pan in very hot water cleans it a treat. Not sure how ecologically sound this is but it gets you back to the raw bare metal if you get into a mess...then I re-season with oil - usually olive...

Timbo

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I made an interesting discovery at the weekend. As a scout group were helping me in the woods, I camped over with them and I decided to have egg McMuffins (minus the Mc, or is that muck?). Unfortunately I had left the frying pan at home :rolleyes: I did, however have a pan that I made years ago as a chestnut roaster (though I never got around to making holes in it or attaching a handle). It was heavily rusted and covered in ash from the fireplace.

After a quick wire brushing and good rinse I used it to fry my eggs over the fire. I got perfectly round fried eggs that were just the right size for the muffins. :) The best bit though was that the heavy rusting had made the pan completely non-stick! :D I must remember that trick ;)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Just out of interest has anyone tried using the PTFE type non stick sheets in a pan?
I have a skillet and was thinking that fried eggs may work in the pan if I used a PTFE sheet?
Also obviously the sheet can be taken home or washed on site really easily.
Dunno dave

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
How are you getting on with your pan now Bushman...?

Sorry I've not been on in a while...my link quit working and I thought the site was down again, just found it with a new link?

I've actually given up on my cast pan, its just too much work!! I'm back with a non stick alloy job, which gives me no grief! I'm very disappointed that I didn't master the iron pan.

I'll prob try it again sometime

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE