How do I clean sheep skins?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Hi

I hope this is the right forum for this. I've got two sheep skins/furs that have been in the garage for a long time and are dusty and filthy. I'd like to clean them before I try make something from them like a waist coat or body warmer.

Does anyone know whether I can machine wash them, or should I hand wash them, or how else should I clean them?

Thanks
Bernie

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Iput mine in the washing machine at 30 degrees wash cycle using Stergene liquid made for delicate wollens.
I leave to air dry, use a hair brush then to fluff out then coat the underskin with Neatsfoot oil - it smells a bit but the skin laps it up-
My sheepskin is used on a bike in all weather!

Last edited:

moonvisage

Jun 23, 2008
birmingham
I have a few items made of sheepskin.What i do,is hang them over a chair in the sun light,in order to kill off all mould etc,and beat the dust,mould and mites out with a fly swat.I then spray febreeze over it to give it a nicer smell.I never comb or brush my sheepskin,as too much wool get pulled out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE