How big is yours?

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Not being the most observant of types I have always seem to struggle to find enough Cramp Balls / King Alfred's Cakes. I seem to walk straight by them - even when looking on fallen Ash / Beech. :eek: Then this caught my eye. A whopper isn't she. c.8cm. Anyone come across larger cakes than this. What's your largest you have found?

IMGP0859.jpg

IMGP0858-1.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Don't go picking that one yet Mark, it hasn't spored. If you take the purple ones home, they will spore where you are trying to dry them and will make a right mess that is hard to clear up... Only pick the black ones....

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
it's still there and marked on the old mental map Jon, ready for collection at a later date, there were probably over a hundred or more cramp balls on the ash and they are all purple at the moment, still at least i know where a good source for them will be for the future:)

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
I have a rather large one,:slap: in my local woods. It is eaisily as big as a tenis ball, but...

it is on a fallen Ash right over the middle of a stream, :rolleyes: probably why it is still there, I would take a picture but with nothing to size compare it with you wont be able to see how big mine is! Ooooo misses.:slap: :twak: :sulkoff:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE