How about here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
As mentioned in another thread, I'm looking for a place to spend a few nights.

Can some of you more experienced BC have a look here and tell me if it's somewhere you'd consider?

Using Google maps, enter these co-ordinates: 53.393016,-1.730368

You should now be pinpointed right at the entrance to a small carpark. This is Ladybower reservior in the Peak District. My thought is that I'd hop across the little expance of field you should be able to see and head for all that woodland. I've had a look and can't see any farms/houses in the immediate vicinity.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
:) - I was considering Rainbow Lake until I found out where it was. It's just a little too far for a weekend bushcrafting.

:) - I was considering Rainbow Lake until I found out where it was. It's just a little too far for a weekend bushcrafting.

I would think so, if you were going to come all the way over here you should at least go to Fall Creek Falls for a week. It's beautiful and I hope to go up there this coming weekend as it's only about an hour and a half away. I camped there for four days once and hiked most of the day light hours and never hit the same trail twice. You should check out this link it's the trails map

http://www.myfallcreekfalls.com/TrailMap.html

If you click on the names on the trails map you'll get to see images like these, I really love this place

http://www.myfallcreekfalls.com/fallcreekfalls.html

http://www.myfallcreekfalls.com/canecreek.html

http://www.myfallcreekfalls.com/gorgeoverlook.html

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Beautiful - makes me quite jealous. On these shores, I'd have to go all the way up to Scotland to match that kind of wilderness.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
I don't quite understand the point, Womble. I'm looking for somewhere remote, somewhere I'm not likely to be disturbed. Surely a Girl Guide activity centre is going to be teeming with... well, activity.

Can you explain further what you mean and why you recommend it?

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
OurJud,

The woods around Derwent and Ladybower reservoirs are on very steep ground. Check it out on an OS map.

The woods are all evergreen and tightly packed for forestry.

It is also a very "busy" area in terms of walkers/mountain bikers etc and also rangers as the activity/info centre is just up the road.

Its also worth baring in mind that it is not access ground either.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Ive walked around that area a few times. The Snake pass runs along side it and roars to the sound of speed motorcyclists. The hills on the north side are quite steep but there are plenty of areas on the south side, although you can get a few party'ers around there. On the whole its a nice place so why not give it a try, or at least spend a day walking the area for spots you think Joe public will stay away from.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. I may spend a night there myself.

Stu.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
OurJud,

The woods around Derwent and Ladybower reservoirs are on very steep ground. Check it out on an OS map.

The woods are all evergreen and tightly packed for forestry.

It is also a very "busy" area in terms of walkers/mountain bikers etc and also rangers as the activity/info centre is just up the road.

Its also worth baring in mind that it is not access ground either.

Ah, bollox! :banghead:

Intrepid stu, maybe I'll do just that. Make a day of it, scout around etc, although I'm not too optimistic now, I have to say.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE