House Radon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I spent six years in Cornwall and I saw nothing.

However, I was not in a house.

(If I was buying a house in Cornwall, to be frank, I would be more worried about subsidence)

In granite areas the properties will have surveys, yes? The estate agent can help.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yes I have some radon monitors. They monitor for several months..... I'm waiting to find out what the readings are and what happens next. Sorry I cant be more help, but I'm still in the monitoring stage. My housing association are instigating this as part of their maintenance stuff, so I'm not paying for it myself.
They've just placed monitors around the house in various places like bedrooms and living room.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Not personally but I remember a place called Shipham near here had a lot of fuss years ago and I believe sensors/monitors were put in properties.

Sent from Somerset using magic

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Your area is considered low risk, but if you are concerned you can buy a monitoring kit for £50 from public health England.
Have you bought your house in the last few years? The risk potential should possibly be in the survey.
If renting, landlords are responsible, and for any remedial work if needed.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Shortly after moving into our house 20+years ago we got sent a set of two monitors by b the radiological protection board. After putting one upstairs in a used bedroom and the other downstairs in a well used location for a full year I sent them off. Little plastic boxes. They tested them and we got an 1 page report basically saying we had no issues with radon, well below safe limits. It was free for a couple of years but costed a bit later on if I didn't take advantage of that survey.

Reason was that being a limestone area radon can leak through. Collects in basements I believe. Not having a basement is a plus round here.

We're moving to the other side of a high risk block of a few miles radius. However it's no more risk area than here where we're going to.

If you ever sell your house then the second level survey gives your risk level for radon. If the actual tests cost more than a survey then perhaps a survey might be a cheaper way to find your risk level. Or just go to that interactive map because that's what the surveyor probably uses. The UK has been fully surveyed now. I think my testing was part of that nationwide survey.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales

We use Radon UK for reports to inform our foundation designs. The free to browse mapping data is very generalised and you should really get the full report before relying on it. I built my house with a radon barrier and depressurisation sumps for full protection but they updated the data a few years afterwards to show we're basically in a risk free area. I sleep with the window open all year round though so I don't think our house would ever have been at risk with us living here.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE