Hot tent set up in the garden but ....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I got this new hot tent, which came with stove jack. But I feel my wood burning stove might be too close to the tent wall.

The tent is 1 or 2 person for max, which is not roomy. When the stove is placed in the tent under the stove jack, the back of the stove is very close to the tent which looks not safe. The tent is made of 300D tear resistant Oxford cloth with waterproof and anti-UV coating, and the description says, it is safe to use stove in the tent.

But would it be? What distance should be left between the tent wall and the stove? The stove is quite large one, it can get very hot at times.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Perhaps, if you are unsure, you could rig up a fire blanket between the stove and tent wall?
I have two stoves, a small one for the smokey hut, and a larger one for the bell tent.
I've got an outback woodstove for the smokey hut, which is quite well priced price for a stove, (which I think I got from bell tent boutique, or a similar company, sorry forgot where i definatly got it from) its a perfect size for that particular tent.
The bell tent has a larger, taller, 3 leg frontier stove. It's definatly too big for the smokey hut, where I'd have the same concerns as you if I were to use it in the smaller synthetic tent, though It's fine, for my 3 metre canvass bell tent, due to the side walls, which a tipi style, like the smokey hut, doesn't have.

Sorry, I'm rambling a bit, I'm exhausted after a day in the woods, trying to crank out spoons for an event in Cornwall.! (Only stabbed myself twice, no plasters needed...I'm getting better at carving. :) )

Reactions: spader

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
A picture of them both set up might give folk a better idea but as said, if you fancy going belt and braces, some sort of heat shield between the stove and tent wall perhaps.

Reactions: spader

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Perhaps, if you are unsure, you could rig up a fire blanket between the stove and tent wall?
I have two stoves, a small one for the smokey hut, and a larger one for the bell tent.
I've got an outback woodstove for the smokey hut, which is quite well priced price for a stove, (which I think I got from bell tent boutique, or a similar company, sorry forgot where i definatly got it from) its a perfect size for that particular tent.
The bell tent has a larger, taller, 3 leg frontier stove. It's definatly too big for the smokey hut, where I'd have the same concerns as you if I were to use it in the smaller synthetic tent, though It's fine, for my 3 metre canvass bell tent, due to the side walls, which a tipi style, like the smokey hut, doesn't have.

Sorry, I'm rambling a bit, I'm exhausted after a day in the woods, trying to crank out spoons for an event in Cornwall.! (Only stabbed myself twice, no plasters needed...I'm getting better at carving. :) )

I have 2 stoves too. One is a large stove with 127mm chimnies, an the other one is an old rusty Norwegian army stove with 89mm pipes.

The larger stove chimeny wouldn't even fit into the stove jack of the tent unless it gets cut.

The old Norwegian army stove pipe fits ok, and the stove sits OK in the tent too. But the stove is still very close to the tent wall. As you suggested, I may need a fire blanket, or some fire bricks piled into a wall between the back of the stove and the tent.

Ideal stoves for the tent would be very small titanium stoves with rolled chimnies, but they are too pricey for what they are, and it will need keep feeding with the woods for keep going on. And the small stove size will mean little heat, and ash gets over piled in the stove blocking the air flow reducing the efficiency.

It is now warm weather season which doesn't need stove in the tent, but at some rainy nights, it may need warm wood fire in the tent.

I might look for a smaller stove for the tent, or I will have to make some heat barriers between the stove and tent.

I had been into wood carving myself a few years ago, but I gave it up. I might go back to it when the garden got cleared this or next year. Hope the cut wasn't bad, and wish you quick recovery. I was stung on my index finger by some type of thorn or sharp object yesterday while clearing up the cut branches and twigs off the holly trees and blackthorn. There are very thorny brambles in places too. I was only wearing a thin rubber gloves, and something still stung my finger through the glove. I should have worn a proper gardening gloves. But this morning, my finger seems OK working. Enjoy your wood carving. :)

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
A picture of them both set up might give folk a better idea but as said, if you fancy going belt and braces, some sort of heat shield between the stove and tent wall perhaps.

Yeah I might try to get a photo or two and upload here. I am moving a lot of large plants today, and it will be a hard days work. I will jump into the tent for sitting down and having some cold drinks when I need rest under the shade in the middle of the work.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Personally I think it’s unsafe for anyone to use a wood burner in a tent that is anything less than a 4 person. The tight space alone is a burn injury waiting to happen let alone damage to other equipment or the tent itself.

In the past, I was thinking in that way too, but then there are many folks who are running hot tents all the time through the year without any problems.

Last edited:

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
This tent in the yotube video is exactly the same tent as mine. The presenter is using a lot smaller (maybe the smallest) wood stove, and it seems working OK. My large stove is about 4 times larger than the one in the video. My 2nd wood stove which is old, is about twice larger than the one in the video.

Last edited:

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
There are many people driving around without seatbelts on as well. Doesn’t make it any more safe.

The youtube presetner in above video seems to have managed to cook his dinner, had the dinner, and spent a night in the hot tent ok without much difficulties.

For myself, I am only trying to learn about it before actually trying the hot tent, maybe this winter, if all seems ok.

Last edited:

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Personally I think it’s unsafe for anyone to use a wood burner in a tent that is anything less than a 4 person. The tight space alone is a burn injury waiting to happen let alone damage to other equipment or the tent itself.

I can appreciate your concern with the confined space and running wood burning stove in it. But that is why we all try to learn and get better in know-hows on running them with total safety.

If there is no such risks involved in the operation, then no one would even mention about it.

Now I managed to get hold of a small / mini wood burning stove made of Stainless Steel. It folds into a flat-pack and weighs about 2 kg feather light. It now fits perfectly in the tent.

Did a few test running with the new portable mini stove. It burns well, but the heat output is much lower (weaker) than the larger stoves, and burns out very quick (as expected).

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Not sure, if sleeping over night in the tent with the wood burning stove on is OK for safety.
This youtuber seems feeling quite comfortable sleeping with the burning wood stove going all through the night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE