Horse flied - Damnable things

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
When I kept horses. Some old gypsies recommended that we grab a handful of Elder leaves. Screw them up in the palm of your hand and rub the necks of the horse from their driving collar to their chinstrap. This deters the horsefly from pestering the horse around that area. We would stink from the extracted chemicals, but funny enough never got bit ourselves. Give it a try.

I use elder to deter mozzies, little rub of the leaves and I've never been bothered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
When I kept horses. Some old gypsies recommended that we grab a handful of Elder leaves. Screw them up in the palm of your hand and rub the necks of the horse from their driving collar to their chinstrap. This deters the horsefly from pestering the horse around that area. We would stink from the extracted chemicals, but funny enough never got bit ourselves. Give it a try.

I am not surprised. Elder leaves, like laurel, contain cyanide.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
They seem to be uber prolific this year, got bit twice through my shirt last week and one got me during target practice yesterday...but I got him good and proper, I missed the target but he made a pleasant splat crunch noise when I slapped him ;)
Last few years not a single bite.

Rob.

xylaria

Wow Boss - you kind of "over react" to some things don't you!
The wretched Horse Flies are more than plentiful this year so I guess you are going to have to either find a good repellent (Fiona's stuff is pretty good - so is the "Incognito" system) or go around in a full suit of 16oz canvas - long trousers, gloves mask et al!
I have been had 4 times this year already - but all I get is a hard lump about 5mm across that stops itching after a couple of days...
There is another little beggar that goes for me (ain't worked out which it is yet) that goes for sweat line bites - sock line, waistline, watchstrap, hat etc and those bites itch so badly that I always end up scratching them bloody - not pretty!

That is chiggers aka red spider mite aka chigooes aka harvest mite. I react dreadful to them. They reach the spots where the sun don't shine and other critters fear to tread. I dont normally push my own products but after going in my mothers green house that heaving with them I fi d as long as I shower with my neem soap I am fine. I have taken to reacting to the red ants in my garden. If i disturb a nest they launch all out war.

As for allergic reactions to bites antihistamines and plantian leaf for the itching. Blending a load and mixing it with oil makes it easier to apply when war has been launched and you look like a dart board.

xylaria

That sounds like it should work and work well.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
like teedee said, ribwort plantain leaves are great for easing bites, they contain a natural anti-histamine and i've found they really are effective.
As uncleboob says, crushed Elder leaves are a great deterant, but i find that it needs to be topped up every 30-45 mins, also burning green elder boughs on your fire, will help keep them away, just try not to sit in the smoke, lol!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have tried it plantain TeeDee, and while I was hopeful, and it took the edge off the misery, overnight the whole arm swelled up anyway and my elbow was pretty much immobile.

This is a histamine reaction, and if you're susceptable then it can be a massive reaction. It literally immobilises a limb if I'm bitten there. On my hand or foot and it's beyond miserable. One on my neck left me slightly panicky and my heart fluttering like a trapped bird in my chest. Thankfully the swelling went outwards and not into my throat.

It's not worth getting it wrong; the pills are easily available and they're not expensive. I don't normally take much in the way of medication, but the antihistamines and anti-inflammatories are a blessing.

I have tried the mugwort, the boor tree and the gale, and they all work, a bit. They discourage the blighters, but they don't stop them :sigh: Marmite and me are long term friends, and I still get bitten. I have tried the B vitamin patches (got a chemical burn from those :rolleyes: ) and was quietly hopeful that they'd work. Not trying that again. I tried the Niacin (B3) tablets and that was a nightmare. Look up Niacin Flush and imagine that fireants are burrowing under your skin. Never mind a flush, it damned well hurts like the worst sunburn.

I've been very fortunate this year, long may it continue, and haven't been bitten by anything but the midges so far.

Clegs, horseflies…they're why the Devil's known as the Lord of Flies.

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have tried it plantain TeeDee, and while I was hopeful, and it took the edge off the misery, overnight the whole arm swelled up anyway and my elbow was pretty much immobile.

Thank Toddy - Interesting to hear back from people when these things do and don't work.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think if the bitten person isn't inclined to swell up much from a bite anyway, then the prompt use of plantain will certainly provide some ease.
Meadowsweet was more effective, but it's an aspirin type analgesic and anti-inflammatory, so be aware that you'd be better avoiding it if aspirin is a problem for you. I am very grateful that it's not for me :) so meadowsweet is a blessing, so is willowfine. Both can be used as a topical ointment or rub to ease the swelling and irritation of a bite. Both are commonly found anywhere near water too (so not an issue in my sodden wet bit of the world ) and since that's where the clegs are usually found too….:)

atb,
M

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
I too swell up just the same, interestingly I was building some decking last week and on two occasions a fly landed on the motor of my impact driver rather than my hand, as the motor was warmer than my hand it looks like their sight or senses are in the infra red range and they home in on heat. I swished it away and it came straight back onto the motor so I squished it, same thing with the second one. I have watched one land on my hand once and despite seeing it I could not feel it land they are so gentle at landing but have such vicious mouth pieces.

xylaria

I think if the bitten person isn't inclined to swell up much from a bite anyway, then the prompt use of plantain will certainly provide some ease.
Meadowsweet was more effective, but it's an aspirin type analgesic and anti-inflammatory, so be aware that you'd be better avoiding it if aspirin is a problem for you. I am very grateful that it's not for me :) so meadowsweet is a blessing, so is willowfine. Both can be used as a topical ointment or rub to ease the swelling and irritation of a bite. Both are commonly found anywhere near water too (so not an issue in my sodden wet bit of the world ) and since that's where the clegs are usually found too….:)

atb,
M

As you say there is a massive difference between an allergic reaction and the normal bite itching. Horsefly bites can carry infection, my mother got bit on the ear one evening 12 hours later she had to call the emergency doc out as her ear had caulifowered and her eye was swelling. The bite was very pus filled and had become a 5p size wound. Spider bites and wasp sting can also go manky very quick.

For normal bite itching as well as meadowsweet the green soft twig tips of Poplar and of couse willows work as well. I tested antisan against plantian leaves and willow tips. I had over a hundred !!!!! Chigger bites one bushcraft weekend. Willow tips chewed and spit out relived the itching quickest, plantain reduced the time I had the hives for to a quarter the time, and the antisan was pretty rubbish. I took oral antihistamines.

Last edited:

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Maintaining a solar farm at the minute, and after 3 weeks I've been bitten twice? An agency worker I had with me lost count after about 18 in a day!!
Not a helpful post on remedies but I truly think it's either the individuals pheromones or outlook!! They're a nuisance but I think patience is probably key to surviving!!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Temperature is a key to attracting them as has been stated. Cars on hot days are wonderful horsefly attactants as they are just a big block of heat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE