horn bending jig

Jan 17, 2011
co durham
hiya folk,s,was looking for some info on a bending jig for some buffalo horn i have,not a lot of info about on the web,as regard,s measurements etc,and google is the usual load of advert,s and bliddy crap,god it,s frustrating,well time for a coffee,,ian

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi, welcome to the forum.
Why not introduce yourself in the new members section.

As for a bending jig, can't really help you there though I believe it's just a case of boiling the horn and then putting it in a vice!?

I think a few members on here have experience in these things.

All the best
andy

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
would be usefull to know what you want to bend it! you can make a million shapes from spoons to shepheards crooks.

Diving Duck

Oct 2, 2013
South Wales
Buy a copy of 'Stick Making' A Complete Guide by Andrew Jones & Clive George, there's a photograph in there, the book is a 'Must Have' if you are making sticks.

I've introduced myself but can't find it

clay*pigeon

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2010
W. Scotland
The easiest way to size a jig, is to draw round the inside of a crook onto a piece of steel, then form your form round your mark. Don't know if that makes sense. I'll dig my jig out and take some pics with sizes.

clay*pigeon

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2010
W. Scotland
[IMG
][/IMG]
IMG-20131003-00228_zps6b4833e6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG-20131003-00230_zps29ec9c33.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Jan 17, 2011
co durham
Hiya
I bought the horn from the h/horn co,had a few bit,s n pieces of them over the years,i have the small copy of 'Stick Making' A Complete Guide by Andrew Jones & Clive George,i was intending to make some stick handles,yep fish I have a few sticks already dried out for them,,in fact getting the urge to head up the farm in the morn to see what I can find.plenty hasel up there,old stuff,but decent,
well dog walk then tea time,catch you all later,have a good one,
Ian

Jan 17, 2011
co durham
Hiya
Now those pic's are fantastic,the made stick's are a real inspiration to get the daughters junk out of my shed,and make a start,the jig pic's are just spot on and a very big help,it's all about finding some time now,and being nice to the welders at work
A tremendous help to me and many other's I bet,a big thank you for taking the time and effort to help me out appreciate it a lot,
Ian

Diving Duck

Oct 2, 2013
South Wales
When you have done the easy part [bending] you can look forward to finishing, I use wire wool & T-Cut scratch remover is good,[Brasso works but is 'dirty'] it's like sanding and Elephant down to a Greyhound!, but very satisfying when you see the finishing line.
Good Luck.

Diving Duck

Oct 2, 2013
South Wales
When boiling Black Buffalo horn, don't get impatient leave to boil for an hour, then use hot air blower using WD40 to avoid scorching, bend gently to avoid stress marks.
Good Luck.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Be great if someone bent buffalo or rams horn into a more ergonomic walking stick shape - crooks are too tightly curved to use as a walking stick (for those of us who actually need to use one)

Diving Duck

Oct 2, 2013
South Wales
Be great if someone bent buffalo or rams horn into a more ergonomic walking stick shape - crooks are too tightly curved to use as a walking stick (for those of us who actually need to use one)
I have to use a walking stick due to a balance disorder, the few I use I hold by the neck, just made a Buffalo market stick [as shown on page 80 of 'Stick Making' by Andrew Jones & Clive George

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mine is a back injury that means I have to "lever" myself up and support my weight rather than balance (when it plays up). I normally use something in a Derby style handle, but fancy something a little nicer. A market stick style would work (on a 36" shaft), but would need a fairly wide curve - like a traditional bentwood walking stick.

I've looked for a while but never found anything suitable. A cut down crook is just too narrow in the curve :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE