Hooker :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

St Samwise

Jun 20, 2009
penrith
My grandad, a retired gamekeepr and coppicer, a real man of the woods and a great 'shroomer has given me his W.Gilpin "Stafford" bill hook. After me gazing at it in awe since about five, and the way he used it to hedge and coppice. I am now the happiest chap in the universe, it has a mean edge. Apperntly its been in the family before my great grandads time, although im not too sure because of his story telling ability. He says that it is the best 'hooker he as ever used, hence the title :D i was wondering if anybody else uses one, and really how good they are??

Samwise

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

You are truly a lucky chap, I LOVE billhooks, find they can do most of the work that a knife and or axe can do, plus more besides. Been using them and banging on about them for years and don't know why more "bushcrafters" don't use them ( fashion I think).
There's a wonderfull shop (asides from the one you posted) here. http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/

Please use it as you'll grow to love it, easier to carry than an axe, sturdier than a machetté, more powerfull than even the great Ray's woodlore knife and yet as delicate as a scalpel if needs be. You can tell I love 'em yes?

Truely great and versitile tool.

Goatboy.

St Samwise

Jun 20, 2009
penrith
i too am a lover of a good hook, i have a morris spar hook i use at the moment cant wait to get the stafford out :) i fancy a sheath for a 8" Finch brothers devon i just bought off flea bay for 7 quid, i'll re handle it and then post some pics up here, anybody know of a good price for a bllhook sheath

Samwise

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've also got myself a hook just recently, not quite the style i was after but at three quid i could hardly complain! I wish i had picked up the meat cleaver too!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
We should do a "hookmoot" for the REALLY cool of the bcuk community

Ah St Samwise, it could be a trad. faction of the general community for those who know what a really useful tool is all about. :D I'm all up for "Hookmoot", sounds like heaven with proper sized fires...lol

GB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE