Hooey Stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I have been using my Wheeler Woods Knife for the past few weeks on just about everything I can think of to both see how it performs in my hands and how the Scandi grind differs from my other knives.

Yesterday instead of making more fuzz sticks etc I made a simple toy. A hooey stick. A little project that never fails to interest the kids.

I peeled a cherry twig, notched it, whittled a flat propeller and peeled a rub stick. This took about 10 minutes. Then I drilled a hole in the end of the stick and propeller and nailed the propeller to the hooey stick.

Schwert_Hooey1.jpg

Rubbing the stick causes the propeller to spin and magically (sort of) saying "hooey" the propeller can be made to spin the other direction.

Schwert_Hooey2.jpg

This little project is both fun and in some ways a gave me a better way to understand this knife, its grind, and its capabilities.

I ended up doing a hard lateral tork on the bark down in a branch knot and put a small roll in the thin edge of this blade. I was able to roll it back with a smooth steel, but this little project taught me a lesson with these very thin sharp scandi grinds. I have been slowly working the original grind back to a slight convex, but it is still not robust enough for this lateral stress. I will probably be reworking the edge over then next few weeks as I continue to use this new knife.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Grand idea - thanks Schwert! I've got a hooey stick that I got years ago, but it never occurred to me to make one! :super:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE