Hooded Olive Drab Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Gabardine is a twill weave and very similar to denim. By itself it's not particularly water resistant because the nature of the weave prohibits the individual fibres from swelling in the same manner as Ventile. It is a tougher fabric, harder to puncture, but really needs a good proofing treatment to repel water. But even without a proofing, gabardine is still very windproof. Shakleton wore Burburry on his famous polar expedition. However, once a small hole appears in gabardine, it will continue to unravel in the same manner of a pair of Levi's with a torn hem. A good source for Gabardine would be either Burburry (if you can afford it) or Grenfell cloth (if you can afford it).

Ventile is an oxford weave and when wet the individual fibres swell uniformly which keeps the water out to a high degree. This is why RAF immersion were (are?) made from heavy grade Ventile fabric. It's not as reliant on proofings as Gabardine but a bit of Storm, Nikwax, or Grangers doesn't do it any harm. On the negative side, Ventile is easier to tear or hole than Gabardine, but because it is an oxford weave it won't unravel like twill fabrics.

Adam

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I finished my latest ventile smock, so I put a picture up in my gallery.
Definately not military looking.
I roll my hood down to form a collar, but it does get a fair bit of use, so I would'nt write them off.
Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE