Homemade floats, and archery recycling :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All,

My missus, knowing that I like to make things, bought me a float fishing kit for Christmas from traditionalfishingfloats.co.uk . I made a couple up, and they have been great in use but very sensitive, so best suited to fishing for small fish. Here is a picture of two of them:

25812810878_23b2d26ab7.jpg

The fluorescent paint is a bit blobby, as I found that putting the yacht varnish over the bright paint darkened it considerably, so I ended up putting a second layer of the fluoro paint over the whole area again. The floats are pretty handy, but a little fragile.

Then, while I was down at the archery club the other weekend, I suddenly had an idea for more floats by re-using a waste product - broken carbon and carbon/alloy arrow shafts. The waste bin at the club hut seems to contain them quite often, and although I only shoot wooden shafts, I was glad to pick them up as they are very light and tough.

With the addition of some line eyes, some pieces of wood and/or biro pens, and yet more fluoro paint, I made a few floats :

24816101187_34a1cd5a76.jpg

Two of them use the plastic nocks they had when they were arrows as the indicator parts. On the second from bottom I included a piece of a broken float which included both the line eye and the counter weight which makes that float self-cocking to a degree.

Hopefully these should withstand even my efforts at casting into trees and wandering around on the bank.

Cheers, Bob

Reactions: zornt

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lovely jubby, those floats would be great for Crucians (ive stocked 6000 of them in the past four years), when the weather warms up a bit and im more mobile you should come down and fish my lakes, im only in W Sussex just off the A24 south of Horsham,

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Thanks all. The kit floats have caught quite a few small fish at my new location, but I haven't had any chance to try the recycled arrow-based floats yet. They will probably be better suited to bigger lakes and deeper water. Time will tell :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE