Home made tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben/dave

May 29, 2010
Derbyshire
Hi

Iv just been to my local fabric shop and picked up some waterproof rip-stop fabric. I'v bought more than i could possibly need. but iv already hit a problem. What stitches should i use to join the fabric. Its width is roughly 1.3 meters wide and its length is.... well very long.

ANY advice on sewing my own tarp would be highly appreciated.

especially if you have tried it yourself.

Im pretty savvy with a sewing machine. but still a bit stumped.

Cheers

Ben

Jul 27, 2010
Lancaster
Hi We supply Tarps with ripstop nylon. You need to use a ball point needle as a standar needle will damage the threads and create a potential for the fabric to go in a hole. Ideally use a BST thread which has a nylon core and a cotton outer. As you may know you cannot seal all nylons but if you use a BST thread the cotton sheath swells when it gets wet and fills in the holes. And Williams Nordisk in the UK www.nordisk.de

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Save a strip for reinforcements. You want a "rolled" or folded seam in the center-line.

But reinforcement pieces whereever you put attachements points (18 mm polyester webbing -- they call it "life jacket webbing" in the stores here -- from the fabric store is fine for this). Make the loops big enought the you can place a rope or an improvised tent peg (i.e. a random stick) in them with no problems.

Buy some bungee cord material, tie into loops (ashely bend work ok even on bungee), use on at least some of the attachments points to save wear on the tarp.

foxtrot

Jan 18, 2009
chesterfield
Use double-sided adhesive tape on seams and hems to stop the fabric slipping when sewing. Seal seams with Sil Net which sticks to siliconised fabric.

Ben/dave

May 29, 2010
Derbyshire
Can someone do me a massive favour and upload a picture of the center tab of the ridgeline. Im Umming and ahhing at how to sew the tab in the smack bang middle of the tarp....... :/

Cheers guys

forestwalker

My solution to the center loop was dead simple, as befits me. Two rectangles of fabric, sewn on to the tarp, one on each side (the ideal is probably 20x20 -- 30x30 cm squares attached "on the diagonal"), then fold your webbing double, sew into a loop with strong bartacking for a couple of cm. Finally "splay the legs" and sew it on (so that you got a lenght of webbing, with a loop standing up in the middle). Seal seams, go camping.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I added loops to my tarp I fitted them both sides of the fabric - the one acts as a baccking plate for the other and the tarp is never inside out.....

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
when you say "more then i could possibly need".......................i think you'll be able to guess what's coming, might you have a little bit spare?

stuart

clive.s

Aug 8, 2010
Hampshire
I made my first tarp at home, joining two pieces of fabric with a rolled join then just stitched down the middle, I used a waterproofing gel any leaks observed.

The tie out points survived pretty well, I used a circular reinforcement patch with a thin tape tie out.

30 cm reinforcement patches sound a bit big.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Can someone do me a massive favour and upload a picture of the center tab of the ridgeline. Im Umming and ahhing at how to sew the tab in the smack bang middle of the tarp....... :/

Cheers guys

can't do a picture dude (PC's playing up again) but if you want to borrow one of my tarps as point of reference you're more than welcome to

stuart

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Don't know how much help this will be but...

btloops.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE