Home made slow match

Jan 15, 2012
essex
This is a luncher what came with a pack of mini flares i found some years ago.

P1010201.jpg

Cut the end off, removed the firing pin ect. Tread some rope in, not got any cotton base rope yet.

P1010202.jpg

End result with the end screwed on to protect the end of the rope. Will put the lit rope out after.

P1010203.jpg

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Dont know yet lol thats a good idea the end cap is part hollow, were the spring went in it. was going to try it as it is, or get some salt peter to soak the rope in. and if this rope is no good get some cotton rope. will try it out in the garden tomorrow.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Believe it or not the projector in the first picture is counted as a firearm and you need a licence to have one as it has a "barrel" because the thread is internal and the flares screw in. The more modern civilian type has an external thread and the flares screw on over the outside.

The cord will work better if it is soaked in a saturated solution of Saltpetre. I make and use it for a Japanese black-powder matchlock I have.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
As a yachtsman i know they use to sell these without having to have a fac, if they have change them lately i dont know.
Been deactivated now so no problem lol. i new loads of people use to keep them in there life jackets.

Last edited:

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I made some of this the other day - but the 8mm aluminium tube I used is a bit tight on the cotton clothesrope I soaked in salt peter - after charring it it lights well, holds a good ember - but when pulled back into the tube to put it out, then focing the rope back through for lighting again, too much char is knocked off for easy relighting with a flint and steel.

Saltpetre is for sale on Amazon, that's where I got it.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Will probably get some saltpeter online, know chemist sell it but they got funny about it years ago. i had a hell of a job buying a syringe the other day with no needle. Lucky the tube i made this out is just the right size, not to tight and not to loss

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Oh, do tell!

Ogri the trog

Very like this:

http://www.antiqueswords.com/product-599-Japanese-Matchlock-Rifle.htm

Mine is modern but traditionally made. There is only one thread used in its construction, the breach plug, everything else is pinned with bamboo pins.

The story is that Japanese did not know how the breach plug was held in the barrel when they saw Western guns and indeed were ignorant of screw threads never having invented them. A visiting English trader sold the Emperor the secret of the screwed in breach plug in exchange for the virginity of one of the Emperor's daughters. An industry was born.

Owning such a gun was seen as dishonorable by the Samurai class as they were seen as distancing yourself from combat and were thus part of the downfall of that class when an unskilled warrior could kill from a distance removing honour and skill from warfare.

These matchlocks are smooth-bore so held on a shotgun certificate. mine is in 0.45" calibre, not very traditional but easy to feed.

I would say that it is my most fun gun to shoot and hellishly accurate considering.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE