Holly Wreath tutorial (pic heavy)

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I'm having a bit of a Karma time in my life so I thought that I would try and give something back to the forum community as I've learned so much here.

I was shown this method from a friend. I'm no florist or photographer so it's just the way that I do it.:)

I gathered some moss from the floor of a nice beech plantation. Holly was gathered from my usual Cemetrey.

First up attach the binding wire to the wreath ring

Christmas Wreath Tutorial 002 (600x457).jpg

then begin adding moss.

Christmas Wreath Tutorial 003 (600x545).jpg

and wrapping with the binding wire.

Keep adding moss until it's bulked up and then go over it again one more time with the binding wire. Tie off in a simple knot.

Christmas Wreath Tutorial 004 (600x555).jpg

Then onto the holly. I just cut the tips off the bush about 6" to 8" long. You want 3 pieces that will be wired together. You're looking for a nice piece for the top and 2 more flatish bits for the bottom. Then a piece of florists wire about 14" long, bent over at the top. Arrange the 2 bottom pieces making sure none of the bottom of the leaves are showing. Place the last piece on top and hold as a bunch. Push the bent over bit of the wire under your finger and wrap 3 times over the bent piece. The bent bit stops the wires tearing into the stems. Trim off all 3 stems to the same length.

Christmas Wreath Tutorial 007 (600x332).jpg

Christmas Wreath Tutorial 008 (600x565).jpg

Once you've made about 18 of the holly picks you can begin to attach them to the wreath ring. Push the wire through the middle of the wreath ring and set the holly pick where you want. Wrap the wire around the holly pick and then down again through the wreath. If there's a small bit wire left push it back up into the wreath ring. My teacher said "You don't want anyone spiking themself on a bit wire". That's the least of your worries believe me. However it makes a nice finish.

Christmas Wreath Tutorial 009 (600x514).jpg

until you've finished the outside row.

Christmas Wreath Tutorial 010 (600x588).jpg

Then begin on the inside row. Now if you thought your fingers and hands were sore they're going to get worse!

Christmas Wreath Tutorial 012 (600x524).jpg

Once complete it should look like this.

Christmas Wreath Tutorial 013 (600x584).jpg

Hopefully this will all post okay. Decorations to follow.

Attachments

• Christmas Wreath Tutorial 005 (281x600).jpg
    Christmas Wreath Tutorial 005 (281x600).jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Christmas Wreath Tutorial 006 (600x320).jpg
    Christmas Wreath Tutorial 006 (600x320).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 23

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Now it's ready for some decorations.

Christmas Wreath Tutorial 014 (586x600).jpg

Use the florists wire to attach the fir cones and baubles etc. Plastic flowers from the Pound shop. Tuck all loose ends of wire into the wreath ring.

Add a long loop of string for attaching to a door etc and it also helps to hang it up whilst decorating.

Lastly, if you do them for the grave side make 2 tent pegs from thick wire and use them to hold down all your hard work.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Great little tutorial, thanks for that. But what a vicious looking wreath with all that holly, deadly! Looks great though :)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Thanks for posting just before I got off the computer to make my own. Now I can pinch some of your ideas and and take the credit!

("On that Bushcraft site again when you're supposed to be helping with the decorations?"
"No dear. I'm researching!")

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My dad makes them, as does some folk up the road.

(my tree is male.....but they don't mind)

I don't know, mind you.

I made some of my own for stocking filers from weeping willow fronds and old tinsel and the like, great fun!

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Tengu is that you ? . My hot chocolate loving neighbour from the bushmoot ? . Oldtimer I get the same abuse from the boss too . But I have to be careful she joined the site after going to the moot

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE