Holly wood for firedrill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Lopped a largish holly tree down this summer and have started to chuck it on the fire at home. I was thinking is this a good wood to make into a firedrill set? Any opinions on its' suitabilty for the board or drill or length needed to season, if at all.

Moine

Forager
DWH,

I don't like holly for fire drills... It's a little too far on the hard side. Besides the grain is often twisting (like a corkscrew), which makes it hard to get a board or a drill straight. It still is possible to get an ember from it, but I personally would choose another wood if possible (beech, cottonwood, birch, cedar, juniper...).

HTH,

David

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It makes a good firebow if you can find a branch that's shaped just right :)
It carves well too, but, and it's a big but, it splits with the slightest provocation until it's dry. It's best dried slowly too, so if you can leave the branches entire and just let them slowly dry off, then it works. Many folks cap the cut ends with wax to slow down the drying/cracking even more.

That cracking is useful though if you want to make a hearth board from it, since it will split like elder right along with just a little kedging.

I tried using it for a spindle, but it was 'sticky'…but then, it was fresh cut that I tried.

M

Pete K

Forager
Nov 13, 2012
Derbyshire
www.facebook.com
I love holly as the drill bit. I do bowdrill demos all summer and tend to always use really well seasoned holly drills. It's the technique that's more important, not the woods, but holly is my favourite on lime boards.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you use Holly, well seasoned, for both bearing block and drill bit you'll find it amazing if you wet the bearing surfaces each time you use it. Holly was used for the keels of fishing craft which had to be dragged up beaches and slipways as it is known for this quality of slippery when wet. I always found Hazel to be the best hearth board with this method, closely followed by Birch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE