Holly does the splits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
The Holly that I cut a week ago and has been in my living room drying has suffered from splitting, I had placed it between to straight pieces of wood and laid it on the floor. It's my first attempt at drying out holly for stick making, is this a common problem?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, I find it to be. Best advice I've had yet is leave the skin on and to seal the ends with wax and set it aside someplace cool and dark. My uncle used to use peg on it to stabilise it for turning from the green.
Beautiful timber though when it does season :D

cheers,
Toddy

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
I would think the spring would be the worst time to cut wood for drying , even holly I would cut in winter and let it dry as said in a cool place bark on , and dont snett the side shoots off till required

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
One of the reasons why it split was you've got it indoors in a warm environment which dries it out too fast. It's much better to air dry things like that outdoors under shelter and seal the ends as Toddy has suggested.

So seal the ends and stick it in your garden shed for 2 or 3 months if not longer depending on the size. Try weighing it as well at the start and then every so often to see what difference there is. Then when you notice no change for a while it's got as dry as it can outdoors. You can then bring it in for a bit more drying.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Ok thanks for the info, I will be looking at seasoning some for stick making. But I am looking to make a stick soon for a present. I have noticed lots of people selling what is listed as season shanks. I need a shank to make a stick now. Please can anyone help me.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I cut some about three months ago, never used holly for sticks before so it never occured to me to seal the ends. Will be checking in the shed in the morning to see if they have split.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The Holly that I cut a week ago and has been in my living room drying has suffered from splitting, I had placed it between to straight pieces of wood and laid it on the floor. It's my first attempt at drying out holly for stick making, is this a common problem?

Wrong time of year to cut it, the sap is rising on everything now and cutting wood now will have it splitting all over the place. Just last week my dad dropped a big sycamore tree. The crown was covered in fresh budding leaves and you could hear the freshly cut logs cracking from the pressure of the sap - the logs were splitting in front of our eyes. About 6 weeks earlier, he had a big silver birch blown down in gales and that was fine because the tree came down before the sap started to rise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE