Holly and hazel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bowman

Jan 6, 2006
East Sussex
I have just aquired some freshly felled holly and hazel - can I carve it green or should I wait for it to season?
If green, should I avoid the heartwood to reduce splitting?
Are they safe on food utensils?

Any help much appreciated.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
bowman said:
I have just aquired some freshly felled holly and hazel - can I carve it green or should I wait for it to season?
If green, should I avoid the heartwood to reduce splitting?
Are they safe on food utensils?

Any help much appreciated.

Green holly splits like anything, I have a pole lathe turned spindle whorl that is in three bits somewhere that was made from green holly. I don't know if it does that if the timber is split before working though. If allowed to season it is a beautiful timber, especially for carving fine stuff.

http://www.ashs.co.uk/PageAccess.aspx?id=49

Cheers,
Toddy

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Holly is best seasoned before working in my opinion as it will often split whilst drying out if carved green. It's a lovely fine grained white wood thats really hard so is good for detailed work and items that will see a good deal of wear.

Interesting point on the link you posted Toddy... "Working Properties: Moderate blunting, some tendency to char and burn on sawing." Me-thinks I might have to dry a piece out and see what it's like as a hearth or drill for the fire bow. I've not heard of it being used, but it looks like there's a good possibility of it being well suited to the job.

bowman

Jan 6, 2006
East Sussex
Thanks chaps

Good link Toddy. I'll just have to wait to play with the holly then. Anyone know if hazel is likely to behave itself green?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE