Hollow Handled Knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
But it isn't made where the Jääkäripukko is made or the Marttiini and has no double vocals or consonants in the makers name.

It's even not made northern of Flensburg and has no scandy grind.

So I guess it's no good recommendation.

:cigar:

Lacedaemonius

Sep 5, 2020
Hertfordshhire
I'd always go for a full tang, mainly for batoning reasons.
the only purpose of a hollow handle that I can see is is to store tinder, a few fishing hooks, or even arrowheads.
just not worth the expense. a small tub/tin will do the same thing :)

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
How about a cold steel bushman, seem to think it has a hollow handle for putting on a stick. You could make a stopper for it!

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I was young and daft
Interesting main reason but I think many of us have gone trough something comparable.

So you are not using it, that must be the other main observation.

But it isn't made where the Jääkäripukko is made or the Marttiini and has no double vocals or consonants in the makers name.
I do not own a JP or any of Marttiini products at the moment. And yes, it is darn difficult to buy any locally made puukko or similar knife that does not have some kind of scandy grind. Now lets see, I do have a Petzl and a Sardinian folder with fully flat and some Russian folders with hollow ground blades. The one Erdelyi folder I have has a blade which is very sharp but the sharpening type is not easily defined.

Most Leukus are convexed. I do have one Roselli UHC that is so damn hard that I somewhat avoid using it because it takes half a day with diamond to get it back to sharp again it's a convexed scandi.

I also tend to carry pyrophoric material but no fishing line with me and ever since the army I carry some steel wire.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Joke aside.

A really good kitchen knife is the Opinel No8 Carbone. Or even No7.

Of course it's a blasphemy to import it to Scandinavia but if you use it secretly deep in the woods...

A compromise would be to buy a stainless one, because it's made of Sandvik 12C27M.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
To tool upto make something like these would be a very expensive business.
IIRC Chris Reeves used a CNC milling machine for his one piece knives.
Thats serious cash to just make a few knives that a person just might not be interested in making anyway.
You'd have to go into serious full time production on them with associated financial risk.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
To tool upto make something like these would be a very expensive business.
IIRC Chris Reeves used a CNC milling machine for his one piece knives.
Thats serious cash to just make a few knives that a person just might not be interested in making anyway.
You'd have to go into serious full time production on them with associated financial risk.

Most likely.

Ignore my above comment - it was merely a piece of Counter-trolling. :)

Reactions: Erbswurst

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I somehow got that far :) but also recalled that most people me included do not use that point very often. So it's a very heavy seldom used point. :rolleyes:

So many quasi useless knives???

What if the person just wants one without having to justify it? I've got no problem with that

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
As long as he is able to justify the colour of his socks it should be OK in my opinion.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
What if the person just wants one without having to justify it? I've got no problem with that
No problem there , it is their money.

But I don't have to like useless knives. ;) In this case the knife can be used but is very heavy. Where is it better than some other?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

But I don't have to like useless knives. ;) In this case the knife can be used but is very heavy. Where is it better than some other?

" Better " is now a subjective thing. An Opinion.

Better than What ?

Better for What ?

I get the notion that you and others don't like or see merit in the concept - that's ok.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------

The version that Tee Dee asked about at the start of the thread is the Aviator which weighs (I've just hit Google and got two different numbers of 5.5 Oz and 6 Oz so I'll go with the heavier one) 6 ounces. Not right heavy at all.

I'm not sure what a Woodlore weighs and I'm only asking cos that seems pretty much the standard knife most people on here aspire too. Anyone?

Even the one I bought back in 91 which is huge doesn't actually weigh as much as you might think. The hollow handle really does reduce the weight by a huge amount and allow the maker to tune the balance with ease.

The Schrade knife shown near the start of the thread shows the principle of the one piece knives but its far bigger than the Aviator version Tee Dee asked about.

You don't like it, I get that and thats fair enough.
Personally I think the one I bought (its got a nine inch blade) is total overkill and I wouldn't buy one with the intention of using it again*. But the aviator and for me the Mountaineer still aren't that bad a prospect.
Small, robust and can carry its own blade oil/Vaseline impregnated rag tinder thing.

Personally again but I wasn't right blown away by the sawteeth on mine cos the blade widened towards its centreline so the sawteeth were only good for making notches and not full cuts. Bit of a fail that one but they didn't all come with sawteeth and at the time you could even specify that on any model that they didn't add them.
The Mountaineer didn't have them.

The uncomfortable thing? Well thats a personal taste I guess but I have a Stanley 91 shoulder plane thats an awfull loooking shape but I've used it for decent periods whilst fitting hardwood floors where they don't all come exactly the same width so I have to ease the width by a bit.
Also I have a catspaw style nail puller bar that Ive used extensively during demolition jobs thats not the most comfortable looking item but again its never given me blisters.
Its surprising what you manage just fine with once your hands are used to manual labour.

I quite often see people on here saying "That knife handle would give me blisters" when I think what they are really saying is "I don't like the look of it" so unless they live their life in bubble wrap I reckon their hands would likely cope.

*Mind, if I'd known they would go up in value from £182.50 then to a couple of thousand dollars or so I would have spent all my money every month on em and I'd have paid my house off by now. Everyone has 20/20 hindsight though eh?

Reactions: TeeDee

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I am a very pragmatic engineer by education and long practical career. Looks don't matter if it works. I don't quite buy the "one piece" argument either but without a cross section one can't comment more (I am aerospace structural engineer).

So still where is it good?

The investment side is somewhat strange but who cares.

I don't like round handles because I like to know by touch which way I am holding the beast.

(this clearly is not a very productive discussion :rolleyes: but forgetting the coolness what are this type of knives good for?)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I am a very pragmatic engineer by education and long practical career. Looks don't matter if it works. I don't quite buy the "one piece" argument either but without a cross section one can't comment more (I am aerospace structural engineer).

Not sure why you feel a need to drop your career choice into the conversation....

We are discussing a knife design.

Merits:-

Stronger one piece design than anything else I've encountered.
Sizeable Hollow O-ring sealed Container within the Knife design.

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Have we got a bit of crossover between discussing if someone on this site can make a knife and LinkedIn profile CV's here?

I know I've sometimes pasted the wrong item over from something I've saved earlier so it does happen.

• Haha
Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE