Holes in shells

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I need a safe way for children to make a 2mm hole through a shell or an oak gall without using a drill bit.
I had thought of a mini pump drill with a flint tip, has anyone made one?

cheers,
Toddy

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I'd use a dremell or similar, they will take a 2mm drill bit and are just the right size for children to handle comfortably,as long as you are with them and assist them,and show how its done correctly no probs,my 3 grandsons at 4/5/ and 7 use power tools in my workshop under my supervision,a good thing i think starting them correctly when young.

Bernie

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Hi Toddy,
what about an Archimedes Drill, seen a couple of suppliers via the net...
jon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have no luddite tendencies Bernie, and I agree teaching children how to use tools, any tools, properly is always a good thing.
In this case however I'll be working out doors without power tools or a tool box.

The Archimedes drill has potential StJon, if I can't find a 'natural' way to do this.

I'd just like to be able to do it on site with materials found there, thus the pump drill.
I could just use burins and make a secure handle for the flint I suppose.

cheers,
Toddy

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
could you get away with a little hand drill like this?

_21395_115665.jpg

You would need to clamp the shell/gall in some form of vice.

If that was too dangerous you could go for this, though it does not feel like a very empowering experience or simple technology.
950301.jpg

http://www.kelvin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=K&Product_Code=950301

I would think a gimlet would work on galls
Gimletc.jpg

Could split shell though.
I do like the idea of one of these and would expect it would work well too.
HandDrill.JPG

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I need a safe way for children to make a 2mm hole through a shell or an oak gall without using a drill bit.

cheers,
Toddy
I'd say why not a flint brad, if you can make them or a metaL brad awl. Even a small sharp flat bladed screwdriver (jewellers size) would do the trick

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I'd use a dremell or similar, they will take a 2mm drill bit and are just the right size for children to handle comfortably,as long as you are with them and assist them,and show how its done correctly no probs,my 3 grandsons at 4/5/ and 7 use power tools in my workshop under my supervision,a good thing i think starting them correctly when young.

Bernie

Excellent post Bernie, I agree 100%, you have to teach them how to graft when there still toddlers otherwise they expect you to be there personal butler by the time there 15 :lmao: (Which I certainly do not intend to be). My 3 year old can now split logs (well almost, he hasnt quite got the strength yet) but he knows exactly where to place the wedge as you move along the log, he has his own small maul, also 2 small shovels, he likes raking, sweeping, ladders (I made him a short 4 foot one to play with) brick laying (with full size bricks!) He is a good log stacker throws them into the right spots, also set out the plan shape of a house on the grass just with bits of scrap wood out the wheel barrow (a rod man :cool: ). He's talented and learns from watching closely. He knows how to assemble a simple stick back chair, gets a mallet to tap the legs and spindles home. I'm about to let him have a supervised go with a hand saw, he's just getting enough finger and arm strength now. Learning a range of gross and fine motor manual abilities at this age will pay dividend's in the future, and he will also learn common sense aproaches to safety in the process. The wife gets a bit anxious sometimes (naturally) but you cant preserve them in cotton wool can you:) Despite being so young he is extremely sensible (when we are working together he is much better behaved than normal) and healthy outdoor work is about 120 times more interesting than the predictable feminised cbeebies rubbish that passes for kid's TV :lmao: .
Cheers Jonathan :)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
How about getting a flattish piece of wood with a hole pre drilled into it....
Place the shell over the hole...
Take a sharpened and hardened piece of wood and strike it with a batton on the shell...
Would that work...?

I guess it may break the shell, but being over a hole, it may work..??
I guess the sharp stick would have to be pretty hard too...

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Sorry toddy-to answer your question, I'd consider making a simple drill bit from a masonary nail (end flattened out then ground to a spear point like the ones they use for ceramic tiles or mirror's) and mount it in a straight stick with araldite, then roll it back and forth in beteewn your palm's? Possibly use damp clay or something to hold the shell so it doesnt get too much stressed

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com

cheers,
Toddy

Hmmm ... tough to do without electric or man-powered modern drills. And using a pump drill would take a lot longer to develope some skill in using it. Plus knapping a long/thin enough flint drill is pretty hard to do. A lot of skill/experience at flint knapping would be required.

So everything tends to point towards some version of a modern metal drill - either hand operated or electric.

One quick/simple option, though, would be a Punch. You would need some sort of clamp/vise to hold the shell, and then a thin metal punch and hammer/maul. Clamp your shell/gaul in your "vice", hold your metal punch down against it, then smack it with your hammer or maul. The force should "punch" through part or all the way through with that blow. Additional blows might be necessary.

Drawbacks:

The shell/gaul might crack/split. The hole might have sharp or jagged edges. Little bits might fly out. The hammer might miss the punch and hit a hand. The hammer/maul might hit the punch at an angle instead of straight down.

Now, some of the "problems" with this could be minimized by making up a combination holder/swingarm/punch. Like making a large wood version of an office stapler - but with the metal punch attached to the end of the swinging top arm, and a shallow depression/hole below it where the shell/gaul would set. Put a shell/gaul in the hole/depression, swing the arm down so that the punch attached to the end of it rests down on your shell/gaul, then smack the top of the punch to make your hole down through the shell/gaul.

This would eliminate holding the punch in a hand, and getting it lined up just right, and also direct the hit/blow correctly. In theory, it would be quick and simple. But you would still have some problems with cracking/splintering of the shell/gaul, and with some potential sharp edges around the hole you just punched through them.

So a drill still would be the best option. And a modern metal drill bit would be better than risking a flint drillbit (extra sharp edges and greater chance of breaking). That modern metal drillbit could be used in an battery operated drill, a hand cranked drill, or even clamped into a handle and twisted in by hand. A clamp-on screwdriver handle, or file handle would work.

Just a few rambling thoughts to share. Hope they help.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for all the replies, but....

****no power tools and preferably something that can be made from resources found on site****

Has anyone made a pump drill with a flint burin tip but using clay as the weight around the shaft ?

On site I have,
* wood
* cordage making fibres
* flint
* bone
* shell
* fire
* clay
* might be able to find rodent teeth from owl pellets
* resin

My intention had been to stablise the shells or galls in clay and use the pump drill to bore through to make the hole. Problem is the pump drill needs some sort of flywheel, and it all has to be suitable for (bushcrafting) kids to make and use.

cheers,
Toddy

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
A pump drill might be fun for the kids but if they can't get the hang of it, how about a quartz crystal in a hand drill (like the friction fire one) a quartz crystal is hard and pretty straight and I'm sure I've seen them made into hand drills somewhere...:)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
My intention had been to stablise the shells or galls in clay and use the pump drill to bore through to make the hole. Problem is the pump drill needs some sort of flywheel, and it all has to be suitable for (bushcrafting) kids to make and use ...

Never made one myself but the pump drills in your second link don't have flywheels as such just lumps of soapstone or clay instead. I take it you add and remove clay until the lump is balanced and your drill spins without wobbling too much.

Or you could just make a bow-drill, with a hollow tipped spindle to take your flint shards?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I use pump drills a lot in my Viking silverworking mode and find that kids can quickly get the hang of them, so the idea is sound.

The point I use is a flat metal bit in a cleft centre post, wound with wire, but the same principle should work with a burin and cordage.

I think it is more suited to a thin shell than an oak gall though.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
There are many ways you can do this Mary, below are pump drills, hand drill and the bow drill.
They all use the plug and socket method for fire production or primitive Black & Decker mode.

handandpump001a.jpg

Small plug with brown flint tip, I use V shaped tips to get the hole started and then switch over to a long thin parallel blade.
I would have shown you the various drill tips but I cant seem to locate them, probably buried in a box in the room somewhere.:confused:

handandpump006b.jpg

Small neck containers with oak galls for decoration which were bored using pump drill.

handandpumpbirch002c.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, now that's what I meant :D :You_Rock_

Neat idea on the drill tips too, I like those.......I've got Elder and some Hazel, that ought to do for the drill and bits :)
I think I'll have a shot with some clay for the weight part.

Those little containers are beautiful Patrick :35:

Guess I'm playing tomorrow :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Try cutting a bit of that serpintine to shape and drilling a hole in the middle for the weight. A normal cheap wood saw with hardened tips should cut a slice thick enough and a jig saw should get it round shaped, then a drill bit the same diameter as the spindle for the hole. Make a few tiny wedges to keep it in place on the spindle. That way you won't have to wait for the clay to dry.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE