Hogweed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 28, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Been out walking over the weekend and came accross loads of hogweed, with the small central shoots in perfect eating condition.
Find the centre of the rosette of large leaves and there will likely be a couple of fresh, young, curled up leaf shoots sticking up. These are wonderful briefly sauted or steamed - as you would asparagus - and they do not taste dissimilar; slightly nuttier. The texture is even better if you cook em within a couple of hours of cutting them.
Mmmmmm....:D

May 3, 2011
London
I was reading a New Scientist article about Signal Crayfish and the menu included Hogweed. Well I never! I thought I'd check out this site and sure enough, you guys were already tucking in to the stuff. :)

Is it now too late in the year to harvest?

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I thought i came across some hogweed tonight while down the river, it was quite bushy and well over a foot tall so would this be the giant variety??

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ordinary hogweed can grow to 6 feet or so in a year. Giant hogweed can grow to 30 feet (!). As a guide, giant hogweed smells foul, and has spikier looking leaves. Loads of it near the river Usk near me, and it is quite spectacular.

Definitely a good idea to post a photo if you are unsure though. Giant hogweed bites!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE