hogweed root?????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I like the shoots, and the seeds have their place as a flavour, i have never tried the root. It is alledgly edible and I have bag of it my kitchen. It looks like and smells like parsnip gone woody.

Has anyone ever tried it?

is it better midwinter like parnsip. It was used mostly as animal feed in the past, and I am about to be either to be pleasantly surprised, or feel sorry for farm animals.

I am talking about heracleum sphondylium BTW.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cant say I have. I'll give it a bash though once its out again. Hogweed is one of my favorite wild foods.

I also want to try your JBTH wasabi idea with some line caught bass/sushi when I get the rods out soon.

xylaria

the jbth wasabi has to eaten as soon possible after pulling from the ground, as like the proper stuff it loses it flavour withing an hour.

The hogweed smells a little like cardomon when boiling. The water is very bitter, just tasted one peice not nice. I have changed the water. It smells quite pleasant.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I shall try this too. The first ones are popping up here now. The giant ones too but there not edible if I remember correctly.

xylaria

ok THE ROOT IS NOT EDIBLE.

I changed the water twice, the more I cooked the more smell came off. The fresh cardamon smell became more like cleaning fluid. I eventually fryed it in butter and added soy sauce, at best it tasted like the cordysol mouthwash. The texture wasn't bad, the taste was appaling to suspect. I couldnt even hold it my mouth let alone swallow it.

I will saute the shoots now, which are really scummy.

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
ok IT IS NOT EDIBLE.

I changed the water twice, the more I cooked the more smell came off. The fresh cardamon smell became more like cleaning fluid. I eventually fryed it in butter and added soy sauce, at best it tasted like the cordysol mouthwash. The texture wasn't bad, the taste was appaling to suspect. I couldnt even hold it my mouth let alone swallow it.

I will saute the shoots now, which are really scummy.

:lmao::lmao:Credit to you! we now know not to try.

xylaria

Another thing the smell isnt coming off my hands. I know enough to know this might be a problem. Coumarins are group of chemicals responcible for the smell of new mown hay, rose petals, moldy nettles and burns you get from hogweed, gaint hogweed and parsnips. I will dig out the sunblock incase it is sunny tomorrow just in case.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE