Hobo Stoves for low wood situations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Absolutely right. I keep a back of sticks I pick up in the woods, so if the weather is wet next time I'm out I can take my own dry wood with me. Doesn't weight that much either.

I picked up a Maxpedition Rolly-Poly belt pouch for just that purpose. Snap off dry twigs as you go, and you've got plenty for a cook-up when you stop. I've got a bushcooker and store a little trangia inside it for woodless situations, although to be fair I've not tried using it that way yet.

Tobes

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
as stated hexamine or equiv is the best for a reliable source or more recently i carry alcohol gel with me and fill the well on my crusader cooker doubles up as antibacterial wash and good for cleaning wounds etc.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I have this a try at the weekend and it appears you're right. I didn't burn the whole log but it did seem to burn quicker than I was hoping. One log is 1.3kg and says it burns for 3 hours. That's mighty heavy for the burn time. Think I'll explore the wax/cardboard tin idea next. Anyone have any links for instructions?

Afraid not, the surface area, relative to the original piece, will increase with every bit you cut off it. It would be interesting to try it though to see just how much of a difference it makes in real terms.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE