Hobo fishing????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
True in freshwater Dave but its legal to handline in Saltwater - off a pier, from rocks / beach or from a boat.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
My guess is the rod requirement is to prevent things like jug fishing and trot lines?

How about bow fishing and spear fishing? Salt water only?

Last edited:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Bow and Spear are illegal in the UK.

So, 32" stick, hook, line and sinker plus a rod licence and permission to fish on inland fresh water lakes/canal/streams/rivers/reservoirs to name a few as a bare minimum.

Speed hooks and yo-yo reels can be used applying the same rules and regulations :)

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Speed hooks and yo-yo reels will get the job done.

Live around American Rednecks long enough and you will get to see some rather creative methods for fishing and hunting, many of which explore new frontiers on the boundaries of state and Federal Fish & Game regs. Generator fishing is one of the more interesting ones.

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D

Live around American Rednecks long enough and you will get to see some rather creative methods for fishing and hunting, many of which explore new frontiers on the boundaries of state and Federal Fish & Game regs. Generator fishing is one of the more interesting ones.

Generator fishing??? How on earth do they do that?????:confused:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Is that like telephone fishing?
Crank a hand Genny and shocking the fish?

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Is that like telephone fishing?
Crank a hand Genny and shocking the fish?

Yes, but for Redneck style you substitute the hand cranked gear with a gasoline powered 110V generator.

Fortunately for American fish, dynamite has gotten a little bit harder to obtain in the last few years. The running joke was that DuPont always made the most effective fishing lures.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Take a look at the photos of the great barrier reif where illegal fishing has been done with explosives the before and after is shocking. Now imagine that in a lake or pond it get's much worse.

For smaller ponds up to about 15 or 20 acres (and many ponds less than 3 acres) the normal here is to drain them every 5 to 10 years and seine the fish out. Then once the ponds have been cleared of invasive plants, reshape, refill, and restock.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Take a look at the photos of the great barrier reif where illegal fishing has been done with explosives the before and after is shocking. Now imagine that in a lake or pond it get's much worse.

I go back to "too little land, too many people" :). I'm not sure, from a morality point of view, that dynamiting fish is worse than catch and release? One is to feed ones family, one is not. Now, if the fish are being stolen from another persons land, thats theft and is plain wrong. If its their pond though? In my head your land = your business.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I go back to "too little land, too many people" :). I'm not sure, from a morality point of view, that dynamiting fish is worse than catch and release? One is to feed ones family, one is not. Now, if the fish are being stolen from another persons land, thats theft and is plain wrong. If its their pond though? In my head your land = your business.

I think in the case ASM was referenceing the "damage" was as much, or more, to the reef itself as to the fish taken.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE