His and Hers Christmas Presents (for the shooting fraternity)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I hope this might make some of you smile who know us.

I have recently met a fantastic leatherworker based in Winchester. His work is absolutely awesome. He is re-masking a number of my axes for me (of which more later). I bought a possibles pouch for my girlfriend from him and loved it so much, I had him custom make one for me

Anyaway, as we were discussing the rather large "come up with a better way of carrying an axe..oh yeah and it has to work for lots of different axes" project, we got chatting about a custom shell carrier I brought in from the US for my Marlin.

Partially because it is much faster in action shooting events, mostly I suspect because it appeals to the little boy in me. Anyway, he took a look at it and went "easy that - I can do better" what other calibres do you shoot?

So here is the Singtek Christmas collection for every good shooter

For Him

(and for those of you who know BB and her taste in jewellery - this should bring a smile) For Her

Fantastic leather work - I have chambers with looser tolerance :D . So if you want a some great leather work (and the first two axe masks are heart stoppingly superb - really!), talk to Singtek. But not until he has finished the rest of my stuff please ;)

Red

No connection other than really happy blah blah. But he really, really, has cracked the "how to carry an axe comfortably" problem. All will be revealed shortly........

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Interesting BR.
Are they stock covers in the top picture?

When I was shooting practical pistol (when we were allowed such things :( ) a friend of mine made a wrist mag pouch. Basically a strip of leather to go round the wrist with a 2 pieces of elastic in it. The mags (it held 2) would stick out at 90' to the arm making them easy to grab. Worn on the strong hand so the new mag could be easily reached by the weak hand for the reload.
It worked really well as long as it was used first - it tended to wave about a bit not being well balanced.

What calibres are those.

Mark

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Mark,

All but the smallest are shell carriers to fit over a standard 1 1/2" to 2" belt. Clearly the smallest is a "wrist band" that Singtek made as a sort of essay in leatherwork :D

Calibres are.303 British (Top Left), .22RF (Top Centre and on its own), .223 Remington (top tight) and .357Magnum( bottom- the original piece).

They work well for underlever particularly with the carbine supported on the weak hand and the loading gate on the right hand side of the receiver upper most. The strong hand can whip the rounds from the carrier (on the right hip) into the loading gate to "top up" between engaging targets. In a lot of the PR we shoot, mags have to be loaded before commencement, so I find again, mag in left hand and slide on right hip to be the best method to avoid my normal "fumble fingers". Also a handy place to load and unload to if travelling in vehicles etc. I really dislike the idea of dumping mag contents into a pocket etc. when working with a fixed mag.

We have toyed with a small covered belt pouch with dividers in for dedicated hunting use (think small possible pouch with separators built in) -what do you think?

Clearly a poncho and a chewed cigar are options :)

Red

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Would love something like that for my .17HMR Anschutz (could he make em that small?)- Damn magazines only take 4 rounds and I can't stand fiddling with an ammo box whilst watching a rabbit that is just seconds away from hopping into the hedge. I would also be interested in a bolt pouch for my .243 and .308. You can buy them but I would much rather give the business to someone here :)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
British Red said:
We have toyed with a small covered belt pouch with dividers in for dedicated hunting use (think small possible pouch with separators built in) -what do you think?

Clearly a poncho and a chewed cigar are options :)

Red
Pros and cons on this design IMO.
If the dividers are leather, they might get in the way if only half are used (I assume you're talking about similar bullet holder but with a pouch in front to hold other stuff).
The other thing is I like to push up on the tip to help extraction as well as pulling the rim - that would be difficult as there would be less access.
But on the other hand they are more protected...

I use a Uncle Mike neoprene stock holder on my .308. Holds about 8 rounds which together with 5 in the mag is more than enough (for those non-shooters reading this I don't intend to use them all - probably only one or two really, but it's an irresponsible shooter who doesn't take enough ammo out with him to finish off a wonded animal should the worst happen)

Mark

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hmmm,
Jewelry that you need a licence for - posh in the extreme.

Good Idea though, I hate fumbling in pockets for ammunition, even though I successfully reloaded a 22rf 10 shot mag whilst on the move on a quad bike :eek:

Nice stuff Sing and BR

Ogri the trog

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
If only I had the spare time I would love to make leather bits & bobs for site members but right now I hardly have time for my own needs!

Cheers

leatherWork.jpg

sling.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Silverback,

Can't see any reason why not mate. IIRC the .17HMR is a necked down .22mag. Given he can do .22RF, can't see the HMR being a problem as the case size is the same.

Certainly can't see a bolt pouch being a problem - actually, thats a great idea..hadn't thought of that.

Take your point Mark on the "fiddly" factor - its why I went for loops...I thought "discrete" really ...hmm maybe a flap that falls down when unfastened.....

"Pressure reloading" OGT - visions of you riding with one hand and reloading with your teeth :eek:

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE