Himalayan Balsam

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Any of you guys pulling any of this stuff up this year?. I noticed the Balsam seed has already germinated, first seedlings have emerged and it will be back with avengence again this year. We have it here everywhere. Thought i would include a pic of one of our conservation groups from a previous year attemting to clear an area of balsam from our nature reserve to encourage the growth of more native species.

100_0316.jpg

Apart from the small patch of bluebells you can see from this next pic, virtually all the woodland floor is crowded with Balsam, draining the floor of nutrient and light and space.

100_0321.jpg

This is the same small area cleared of the dreaded stuff.

after.jpg

This wood has since recovered after determined efforts year after year, by small groups of local people to remove balsam and drain it's existing seed pool in that area. As each year comes and goes, less and less Balsam is seen growing until eventually it is completely eradicated. Now we have native Primrose, Fox gloves, Red Campion, Stitchwort and other native species popping up all over the place
goodjob

sorry about the large image sizes....:confused:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Took us three years to eliminate it from our place - luckily its shallow rooted so if we see the odd volunteer now we just uproot it and crush it. All the dykes and wooded ares were full of it before - even the paddock!

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Thanks for the post. Interesting to learn more about these invasive species and what we can do to help. Out of interest are there any uses for the plant?

Thanks for the post. Interesting to learn more about these invasive species and what we can do to help. Out of interest are there any uses for the plant?

The plant is not poisnous. I've tried it, well small pieces of stem and leaf and i wasn't impressed. I'ts a very watery plant with a slight earthy taste. The sheep round here avoid it and for the most part so do the cattle, however pigs will munch on it. As for the seeds that's a different story. The seeds have a very nutty flavour and there are lots of recipes out there, especially curry dishes using Balsam seed, but take care when collecting the seeds. The mature pods explode when touched dispersing seed everywhere. Better to nip the pods off carefully into a plastic bag and shake the bag to burst the pods. This year i'm going to try a curry recipe i found online somewhere, infact i posted it here on the forums i'll have to find the thread.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
The seeds are very nice... tried them at the moot last year, and will be collecting more this year for foodstuffs.

I know what you mean about the pods, I could not touch one without getting a slight jump as it went off. You can see why it spreads so well.

The seeds are very nice... tried them at the moot last year, and will be collecting more this year for foodstuffs.

I know what you mean about the pods, I could not touch one without getting a slight jump as it went off. You can see why it spreads so well.

Yea i've been hit in the eye on one or two occasions lol, i believe the stems are certainly edible when boiled but i've never tried it.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Hmmm. Might give it a go.

I plan on having a good forage/cook/mess around so why not. Those pods are bonkers when they go off! :)

Taken from wiki... The green seed pods, seeds, young leaves and shoots are all edible.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I hate the stuff. It is invading a wetland site full of rare plants where I am a warden, and the battle is never-ending.

The seeds make a good trail snack if you happen to encounter it, but I know huge areas of the Usk and Wye valleys that are swamped with this, probably beyond all hope of recovery.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE