Himalayan Balsam

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Great shelter cover :)

P1010027-1.jpg

Otherwise none I can think of. The Himalayan is an introduced species and very invasive. The orange (touch-me not) is however, native to Britain.

Pablo.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I remember talking to Martin from the wild food school about H balsam, I was sure I had read somewhere that it was edible, but he doubted that, saying he knew of no use for it. When I got home, I went through all my books and fav websites, crikey, its raining hard out there... I could find nothing to say it was edible, so I was wrong in my thought....The only good use I can think of is to give it a good shake when the seeds are ripe, so they all pop open, but then thats only going to plant more of them, isnt it...!!!

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
The seeds of its smaller yellow flowered European counterpart are edible raw (and taste nice too) and the juice of both the Himalayan and European version acts as a relief for nettle stings (tried it and it works for me).

Tom

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I remember talking to Martin from the wild food school about H balsam, I was sure I had read somewhere that it was edible, but he doubted that, saying he knew of no use for it. When I got home, I went through all my books and fav websites, crikey, its raining hard out there... I could find nothing to say it was edible, so I was wrong in my thought....The only good use I can think of is to give it a good shake when the seeds are ripe, so they all pop open, but then thats only going to plant more of them, isnt it...!!!

okay so its maybe a bit dramatic, however, according to our Forestry Commission Ranger here at Chopwell, it's the type of thing that once it gets a hold, will kill off most other plants around it mainly by blotting out the sun and growing extremely quickly.

we spent a couple of hours pulling out the plants( roots included) from a sand bank on the river Derwent, which runs through part of the wood,where they had started to grow after washing down from somewhere upstream. The ranger was adamant ( I dont mean like; Adam Ant!) that this stuff was definitely bad news.

I dont know that much about it, but our ranger certainly does not waste effort on anything she really doesnt have to, so it must be dodgey! the patch we destroyed was about 15 metres by about 1.5 metres and the ground was very soft, so we could actually get the roots out fairly easily. It was in a spot I pass regularly and had certainly not been there a week previously to us digging it out so it really does grow quick.

It would be something of a tragedy to lose plants like; Celandines, Pig nuts, Burdock etc in any area where we are allowed to practise our craft, to the likes of this plant simply because we dont know what it's capable of.

lets be careful out there!:eek:

hope this is of value and not knocking anybody!

R.B.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
okay so its maybe a bit dramatic, however, according to our Forestry Commission Ranger here at Chopwell, it's the type of thing that once it gets a hold, will kill off most other plants around it mainly by blotting out the sun and growing extremely quickly.

we spent a couple of hours pulling out the plants( roots included) from a sand bank on the river Derwent, which runs through part of the wood,where they had started to grow after washing down from somewhere upstream. The ranger was adamant ( I dont mean like; Adam Ant!) that this stuff was definitely bad news.

I dont know that much about it, but our ranger certainly does not waste effort on anything she really doesnt have to, so it must be dodgey! the patch we destroyed was about 15 metres by about 1.5 metres and the ground was very soft, so we could actually get the roots out fairly easily. It was in a spot I pass regularly and had certainly not been there a week previously to us digging it out so it really does grow quick.

It would be something of a tragedy to lose plants like; Celandines, Pig nuts, Burdock etc in any area where we are allowed to practise our craft, to the likes of this plant simply because we dont know what it's capable of.

lets be careful out there!:eek:

hope this is of value and not knocking anybody!

R.B.

Oh, I fully agree, it is an invasive, introduced species. I used to shake it as a kid, we used to call it poppers.....At my local nature reserve we get giant hogweed, they spend between £600 and £1200 a year trying to get rid of it every year, but still it keeps comming back....I do like the smell of the h balsam though....Was interested to read the pfaf report on it, esp giving it the 3/5 for edibility.....

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I can find nothing that says it poisonous, and stuff in EdS land didn't taste that bad raw. So what you could do is put some boiling water for five mintues and then fry in butter gently. I think that might make them edible. In my experience once the stalks turn reddish there is unpleasant taste to the plant. The seeds are suppose to be quite tasty.

This is of course at your own risk, don't eat to much at once, no more than once a week. Remember that I am as mad as a honey badger, and you should take any advice with discretion.

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
Some years ago I attended a talk/demo given by Prof Gordon Hillman. According to him, the seeds are edible either raw or cooked. As I remember, the raw seeds taste buttery and the cooked ones taste of mackerel, but I may have that the wrong way round.:dunno:

However, the seed pods explode open, often with the gentlest of nudges, so gathering them can be tricky. It also makes removing the stuff a pain which is just one of the reasons why it is such an invasive pest.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Japanese knotweed is edible, is known as Donkey Hay and when grazed by animals is kept in check. It's quite tasty and is fine for humans to eat. (It's kind of like easy cook hollow rhubarb when it's young)
I'm told that the balsam too is edible like this but have to admit I haven't tried it. Our local patch is growing down stream from a sewage works. I did try the seeds elsewhere and they are good to eat too, try swinging a kids fishing net over them to gather the seeds as they explode; you won't get them all but you'll catch an awful lot of them. Perhaps it too could be eaten into submission.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it; :rolleyes: eat as many of the blighters as you can :D

cheers,
Toddy

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton

PLEASE DONT DO THIS !!!!!

Himalayan balsam is a particularly invasive non-native species that creates all sorts of problems, spread by its powerfully ejected seeds which are all viable, it can take years to fully eradicate it from our native ecosystems. It makes good honey though........;)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
PLEASE DONT DO THIS !!!!!

Himalayan balsam is a particularly invasive non-native species that creates all sorts of problems, spread by its powerfully ejected seeds which are all viable, it can take years to fully eradicate it from our native ecosystems. It makes good honey though........;)

First, I do agree, dont encourage it, but as I said in my next post, we were kids..... This has been discussed on Wild about Britain forums as well....The plant will cut out light to other, smaller plants, esp when it grows in clumps, and it will clog waterways.......But, so does all the plants that grow on the waterside, Also our wildlife seem to enjoy it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE