Himalayan Balsam

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Without being prissy, I hugely disapprove of this post. It took me five years to eliminate the seed of this invasive non UK species from my land.

I would suggest teaching your son to tear it up before it sets seed, rather than teaching him to spread the seed.

Not trying to be a pain, but the spreading HB seed is like spreading around knotweed :(

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
I totally understand and agree with you. I'm not sure if you watched to the end, but there is a caution regarding popping these seeds.
This was done in an area where the plant is being controlled. There is also a huge deer population, so inevitably these get popped anyway.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I did watch to the end, but I though a 4 second rider saying "don't do what you just watched us doing and laughing for 100 seconds" was rather a weak nod to environmental responsibility to be honest.

I know its fun but that plant is destroying inland waterways. Teaching people to rip it up? Fine. Teaching people to eat the seeds? Great! Teaching people to help the seeds get airborne? Irresponsible in my view.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Having just completed a lengthy walk along the rivers severn and teme I can honestly say I am sick to death of the sight of himalayan balsam. Though walking only feet from the waters edge the river itself could not actually be seen because of a dense screen of the stuff lining the bank and reaching well above head height. A far nicer sight than that menace was coming across a now rare worcester black pear tree.

worcpear002.jpg

worcpear014.jpg

worcpear005.jpg

J

janeleonard

It is more splendid. It should be kept away from any wood cutting to safe guard these rare flora.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE