Hike and Hammock

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Went for some more hiking up in the North York Moors this weekend. Nothing too major about 10 miles each way but some great views along the walk.

091_zps6f05b6f8.jpg

085_zps5bb839ed.jpg

025_zps2246f3fd.jpg

Found this furry critter, my best guess from Google images was a Fox Moth caterpillar?

034_zps84fb6bb4.jpg

I carried 2l of water and thought I'd rely on my purifier, the water was a worrying peaty colour but tasted just fine.

077_zpsd1d439fa.jpg

My bed for the night. I used a TW XL hammock, no bug netting but a lot lighter than my hornet. Only woke up with one mossie bite so that's not a bad trade. I'd tried using a car windscreen frost protector to add a little more insulation to the PLUQ. It definitely added some warmth and conformed a little better than a CCF mat but I did get some condensation.
Had a clear night and it was great to throw the tarp over and do a bit of star gazing.

046_zps1fd6e2b4.jpg

I'd taken some dehydrated meals I'd made and cooked them up on my whitebox stove. I really like these cook kits.

049_zpsc694e72d.jpg

058_zpsebf54fc9.jpg

Tried out a Nalgene 'lantern' it gave a nice indirect light and makes a decent focal point if there's no camp fire to watch.

062_zpsfd40bf3f.jpg

Food was uninspiring but quick and easy.

069_zpsd63540a4.jpg

A couple of views from the second day.

072_zps572f51b8.jpg

037_zpsebbbe6be.jpg

Cheers!

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
Great trip mate, it looks like a great couple of days. where did you get the lamp from? I've seen one before but never got around to asking about it lol!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Great trip mate, it looks like a great couple of days. where did you get the lamp from? I've seen one before but never got around to asking about it lol!

Thanks Jim, it just my Petzyl head torch in one of the opaque Nalgene bottles.

Elen Sentier

Lovely views ... Yorkshire is a beautiful county :) .Where is the first photo, and the 11th, the one after the cooking kit, with the wonderful dragon-back on the horizon?

You've given me more confidence about taking my hammock - always worry there won't be any trees which is really silly as I should go to places I know to begin with :rolleyes:.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Lovely views ... Yorkshire is a beautiful county :) .Where is the first photo, and the 11th, the one after the cooking kit, with the wonderful dragon-back on the horizon?

You've given me more confidence about taking my hammock - always worry there won't be any trees which is really silly as I should go to places I know to begin with :rolleyes:.

The first picture is of Gormire Lake near Sutton Bank and the 11th is looking up at Coal hill on Whorlton moor. I know what you mean about the hammock, but I've not had to go to ground yet :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE