Highland cattle hide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

torjusg said:
You'll probably find a solution to your problem here:

www.braintan.com

Torjus Gaaren

Hi mate I am not going to go into too much detail on this, but I have recently finished dealing with that company and will vow never to deal with them again.

Some of the mods and Tone know what I am talking about, so if they feel the need to pull this comment I will understand, but as I say I will never deal with them again even if threatened at gunpoint.:(

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Well, there are free articles on that site that may help you enough. You don't even have to talk to them. What are you using the hide for? Robe (hair on hide), garments or clothes? Does it have to be waterproof?

Describe what you need and I can try to give you some general guidelines.

Are Leon-1 and EdS the same person?

Torjus Gaaren

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Don't think I'm anyone else (well not until the weekend).

The advise is for a work colleague how has had to have one shot after it broke out and went on the rampage - some nice beef coming this way.

She hates the idea of it going to waste and wants to use the whole beast including the hide. Plan would be to keep the hair on and make a rug/throw type thing.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Given the size of the hide, I would recommend hair on braintan. Dry-scraping, with frame softening. Never done that myself, but there is a book that is supposed to be excellent: "Blue Mountain Buckskin". I bought it on amazon.co.uk.

Torjus Gaaren

Tricia

Apr 30, 2010
Highlands
I know this is an ancient thread, but since I have tanned a Heilan Coo hide thought I`d contribute in case anyone else gets one. :)
I did chrome tan it, so am not sure how popular in this forum that technique would be, however it did turn out fine, and kept the hair on no probs at all.
The worst thing about hand tanning such a large and thick hide is the weight of it when it comes to both stretching it on a frame (and you need a bl**dy big frame for it too!) and in working it soft. I always soften my hides on frames, I`m too wee to sit with a full cowhide and work it by by tugging and stretching it.
Also, you will only get it `so` soft, unless you can somehow split the hide, due to the thickness especially around the neck and rump areas.
All said and done though, the customers were very pleased with it (I think it had been a pet bound for the freezer :D )
and a tanned highland cowhide is pretty special to own. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE