Hidden Valley Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I traveled the three hours into the western part of Virginia for a little camping and trout fishing, late on Friday. It was only for one night of camping. I was able to fish a little Friday and all day Saturday, before driving home. It was a great trip, though too short, with lots of folks trout fishing on the Jackson River.

Here was my destination.
DSCN1783.jpg

I got my tent set up and my sleeping gear stowed just in time for a quick thunderstorm. Then, it was off to fish before dusk.
DSCN1754.jpg

My older /original styled Eureka Backcountry tent.
DSCN1756.jpg

Saturday morning brew.
DSCN1762.jpg

Breakfast of bacon, eggs, buttered bread and tea. Putting the KFS set to use that Sniper sent me from Scotland, it has become a fond favorite.
DSCN1769.jpg

The weekend was rainy and I put up a tarp.
DSCN1760.jpg

The Jackson river at Hidden Valley.
DSCN1785.jpg

The Jackson River, upstream four miles from Hidden Valley, at the Poor Farm area.
DSCN1789.jpg

Another in the Poor Farm area.
DSCN1790.jpg

The reason I went, a small brown on aluminium foil.
DSCN1796.jpg

The recipe: Juice from 1/2 lemon, 1 1/2 tablespoons of melted butter, a sprinkle each of dill, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Wrap tightly in the foil and bake for about seven minutes per side on medium heat / coals. Now that is food fit for a happy camper!
DSCN1798.jpg

One parting shot, Redhound my personal mascot.
DSCN1772.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Gordy

Last edited:

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Looks like a good wee trip you had , but that hidden valley seems to be well sign posted !!!Mmmmm:lmao::lmao:

Cheers

Jason

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Thats brilliant Gordy,...

sounds daft but i like a bit of rain once i,m set up,..

it seems to make the experience a little more realistic,....

i think there is nothing finer than waking to a soft pitter patter on the canvas,....

Stu

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Thats brilliant Gordy,...

sounds daft but i like a bit of rain once i,m set up,..

it seems to make the experience a little more realistic,....

i think there is nothing finer than waking to a soft pitter patter on the canvas,....

Stu

I totally agree.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Martin, Cliff, calibanzwei, Karl82, Barn Owl and R3XXY! I had a good time.

JAG009 - Much of the signage was put in after filmimg of the movie Sommersby in the early 90s. The Warrwick Plantation house was used as the plantation home in the movie. Now it is mostly frequented by those trout fishing and bird watching.

coln18 - The Redhound is a great big "push over". :D One of my close childhood friends, Scotty Grove, has through hiked the AT. The annual AT pilgrimage should be somewhere in Tennessee about now. The Long Mountain, Virginia AT / US Route 60 intersection is only about 55 minutes west of my home.

rik_uk3 - There are a fair few families in the hills of Virginia, and my native Kentucky, that trace parts of our ancestry to Wales. Particularly in coal producing regions of the hills of southwest Virginia and Kentucky.

Raikey - I'm with you Stu, on the rain. It makes the fishing better, if not too hard and swift.

Gordy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to say it; it looks awfully like central Scotland :) as well as Wales. No wonder so many emigrant families felt it was like home.
.........right down to the rain :rolleyes: :D

Thanks for sharing the photos and your trip :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Looks a great site for a wee outing, and catching fish too now what more can a man ask for...........bacon and eggs for breakfast, ok kid I'm buying the tickets over right now as we speak. :headbang: Seriously though Gordy that looks a great spot for a quick weekend away. Nice one mate.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Those little utensils are the business for sure Gordy and very usable, I love mine and like you I use it all the time except when eating out of the pouch of a ration pack ...thats when the long handled spoon of yours comes in really handy. I'll make it over someday Gordy but I may have to wait on a lottery win first.
:fishing::camping::dancer:

Last edited:

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
No wonder so many emigrant families felt it was like home.

You are spot on Mary! There are many traditions from the UK, including aspects of the dialects, that are still present in those regions I previously mentioned. In the last 20 years, the opening of new highways into my home region has led to some loss of the Appalachian culture, which you would find bits and pieces of your culture still very much alive.

Gordy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE