Hidden tang.... possible bushcrafter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
A while ago I asked shing to make me a blade. He delivered and i felt like a spoilt child

He was asked for a scandi style blade after his own design and choice of steel.

I did the rest. This knife shaft and sheath never even saw a power tool :lmao:

The shaft is made of flammed sallow and has been finished with no glossy oils, this knife is a realy hefty user and for those that have seen shings work first hand you will know that the blade is going to last.

The blade is EN 42 edge quenched with a full height flat grind. It is sharp as heck, but never got the chance to bite me!

I kept the sheath simple and coloured it as near to the shaft as possible. The shaft is shaped in a similar way to the one that will be used for the BCUK knife Tony and I have been discussing. I like this design as it sits well in the hand and feels safe.

Here is a pic of the knife:

126Scandi_shing-med.jpg

I made the sheath so that it rides high on the shaft, without making it too difficult to remove with one hand. The sheath has the " mercedes" click as the knife slots home.

Pic of knife in sheath
126shing_in_sheath-med.jpg

Dimensions: the blade is 105 mm long and 27 mm deep. The shaft is 130 mm long and is a good handful. In sheath the overall knife is around 250mm.

Throughout the entire deal i found Shing a gentleman. He was in contact with ideas as to steels grinds and blade shape. I am already working woth him on something else and would recommend him and his work highly!

Thanks for looking. Comments appreciated as usual.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE