Hi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maverick

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
bombadil said:
WELCOME :biggthump You will love the site, I'm a newbie here too, and I'm well impressed.
:offtopic:
The Celtic Manor trashed a SSSI to extend the golf course. :yikes:

I don't wish to go political but I am afraid you are misinformed about the SSSI to extend the golf course if you was to look over the site the extension you will see is mostly pasture land and I can assure you cattle are much more destructive than us. since I have been employed with them (ten years) I have watched farm land being returned to a natural state, the wildlife population has increased greatly so much so that we have had sightings of otter. the courses themselfs have had over 30,000 trees planted and the hedgerows have been repaired and filled in. we have won several enviromental awards and even the public right of way authorities come to the estate and follow our leads as we are the only land owners in the area that not only allow public the right to roam but build new paths for them that link in to the Usk valley walks. I was informed by a local birdwatcher that the bird population has increased so much that he has requested to build a hide for local groups. the lakes are designed as to provide human free wetland areas and are all fed by natural springs and brooks. we lease a ancient wood which I am very proud to inform everyone I maintain (with little intervention) so much so that i have local enviromental bodies visiting as it is the only one of it's kind in the area so well preserved still boasting a welsh dead hedge boundry, there is also a very unusual D shaped moat which i cleared of undergrowth last year and found the entrance(that was a good buzz), a lime kiln and possibly an sisturtian monk waterway. as for archeaology we have a resident archeaologist who informs us of any possible problems on development areas. I could go on all day but i will leave it there!
I would gladly give you a tour of the estate and show you years of land care and enviromental improvements which I have been personally responsible.

I see you study woodland and enviromental issues so if you was to come for a tour I would love to pick your brains as I tend to do it with all bodies that I show around.

The way I see it what would you rather have 3 enviromental friendly golf courses or 10,000 new homes!!!

B

bombadil

Cool :wave:
Thanks for that information, it's always very much appreciated :uu: I hope I didn't offend, it was certainly not my intention, just wanted to relate something that a lecturer of mine mentioned in a seminar a year or so ago. I was in forestry and woodland management for conservation before I came to university, I'd be more than happy share what little I know of these things if I happen to be down that way again, I look forward to reading more of your input on the forum.
:beer:

maverick

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
No offence taken, I just get a little defensive when it comes to the manor.
If you ever do get near just ring the manor and ask for Martin the resort Head Gardener and I will meet up with you. If you are still studying landbased subjects you will find the place very interesting as at present the golf course is being extended and you will see how it's done.
(the land was farmers fields HONEST :eek:): )

Martin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE