hi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tilly

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
staffordshire
hi all i am a new member and wanted to make a hand drill for fire lighting but have no idear what wood to use i have tryed this loads of times even put it in a eletric drill but no fire just a hot bit of wood.if anynoe can help i would be most greatful fed up of eating cold beans thanx

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Hi, Tilly

Have a look for the stuff posted by Rich59
I've seen him in action and he knows his stuff (at one stage he was selling pre-tested kits - not sure if he still does but could be worth asking)

Also, if you get a copy of the first magazine, there was a great article in there
That's what inspired me to try my own (just drying out the buddlia spindle now)

Anyway, welcome

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
you are more than welcome to return to ask more questions or technical ones, the best advice is
not to follow examples shown in army survival manuals (the actual technique is very misleading),
copy Mr mears and you should be fine!

pre-made kits can be good but you may have all the componants in your garden or local area!
my entire kit cost me the price of a yard of cord! (50p?)

i took ages to learn now i can produce fire 99% of the time and i now teach it! any further questions i'd be happy to answer! :)

as a base board i use:
poplar
hazel
lime

as a drill i use:
Hazel
popar

My bow:
is ash and is about 60cm long
my cord is not paracord it's thicker!

My bearing block (pushing down):
i use flint stones with dish shapes in.

i use dry hay (from a pet store) it never fails ;)
dry grass works just as well!

and these as tinder:
rosebay willow herb seeds
reed mace (bull rush) seed (the sausage looking bit!)

once you are set up it's a case of practice!
feel free to PM me for advice!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hi Tilly,

Could you just clarify that it is "hand drill" and not "bow drill" you mean. I think Rappleby2000 has interpretted your question as "bow drill".

Anyway - a very warm welcome to bushcraftuk. Hand drilling is one of my passions and I have just spent a weekend at the annual meet-up (Bushmoot) and did some tutorials.

I teach on an elderberry drill into a pine hearthboard. The elder is 2nd year wood, harvested green, stripped of its bark and then dried. In an airing cupboard it can be ready in 2 days. The diameter at the thickest end should be between about 1.2 and 1.7 cm.

If we are on the right track then next question please.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE