Hi guys

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
How rude of me..... I thought I had already done this but I haven't oops.

I am a countryside ranger.

I have three sites at present, a beautiful (but vandalised) victorian cemetery, a 100 acre hill and a LNR which I am currently sharing with the forestry commission. Fantastic job, not outside as much as I'd like (lots of meetings,funding bids etc). I work for local council which is frustrating but I get out and about doing practical outdoors stuff. I am trying to bring bushcraft to our local kids (one of the poorest areas in britain, finally got past knives are for stabbing and used some for more positive stuff) it seems to be working in small impromptu workshops. No-ones stopped me yet so I guess the boss's don't know or don't mind (probably the previous). The sites are so varied I get to see all sorts of wildlife but they are surrounded by council housing estates so have their problems. I am a local licensed bat worker in my spare time and am training to be a forest schools leader.

T

TimB

Hi, Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!
(and also a great place to share thoughs, ideas and even pick the odd new skill up!)

Tim :)

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Hello.

I used to be a countryside ranger and still refer to that title when I try to explain what I do.

Giving young people the opportunity to experience nature has to be one of the most rewarding jobs there is.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello, and please feel formally feel welcomed to the BcUK forum :rolleyes: :D

Sounds like your job is varied enough to constantly be interesting :cool:

Cheers,
Toddy

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
jon r said:
Welcome! sounds like you have a really nice job! What sort of things do you do in the woods as a ranger?

Its an age old question,

. I have 3 woodland areas 22 acres of mixed plantation pine amenity woodland and 20 acres of seminaturalised victorian plantation woodland + 7 acres of the same. I am trying to prepare my woodland age structure, as the trees are all the same age more or less, lots of felling and planting, this year (last planting season) I have planted 585 trees/bushes, including Oaks (sessile and pedunculate), hazel, ash, rowan, larch, scots pine, sweet chestnut and elder. Educating people from 3 - 80. Woodchipping, tractor driving etc etc.

I spend most of my time reacting to problems, motorbikes, litter, fires, flytipping, dogfouling, you know the glamourous side of life.

Iam trying to prevent my woodland escaping onto the small patch of heath I have.

bushcraft wise I do some birch bark stuff, cordage, spoonnage, bowls, besoms, birch sculptures, whistles, beads, gyspsy flowers (a great way to train people to make feather stick, pole lathe turning (a while back), wood carving s) and some leather work when I get time.

I spend a great deal of time surveying local trees and buildings for bat roosts and rescuing the sick and injured.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE