Considering buying a woodlands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I have been considering purchasing a small woodlands for a while now (all of 4 days!) Around the 8 acre mark you can get them up here for decent prices. However finding information on what you are allowed to do with them with regards to tipis, yurts, huts, management, business etc is not easy.

A phonecall to my local council was useless, they informed me I need to let them know where the land is before they can enter me into the system and give me any information, as I have not bought any land yet.........

Online I have learned a few titbits but I am still researching so if anyone know what is allowed and what is not or has any resource material they can link me too it would be appreciated.

It seems that caravans are allowed to be residential for 28 days of the year. Huts and sheds are allowed (what constitutes a hut?) as are treehouses (again what constitutes a treehouse?). Camping is allowed but probably the 28 day residential rule here applies....

Huts... Is a log cabin a hut?

For example: Lets say I wanted to build a log cabin in the woods, install a few solar panels and a hydro or wind powered generator for small supplies of electricity and practise bushcraft there at weekends. Is this allowed? What if I slept there for 2 months? Is that then residential?

I am not looking to move into the woods, but some information on what I can practise/do there before even considering looking for an appropriate plot is of interest to me.

Sporting rights seem to be granted on purchase (or not granted) and there are differences between leasehold land and freehold which I have only just learned.

Anything at all in the way of factual information would be much appreciated :)

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
You will find that most "amenity" woodland that is up for sale will come with lots of "Restrictions" as to what you can do in them!! Thats before you get to the "planning" dept!!!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thought about buying one myself, but it would take all my money i had planned for retirement, so i would have to get a return from the wood, ie let it out to bushy types, so i don't know if its the right move for me.

Rob

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Almost all I have looked at do not come with restrictions other than what seems to be within the norm. Most you have to sign up to a "Covenant" (Scotland only perhaps) too which purpose is to protect the peace and surroundings of the woodland you own.

Some come with or without sporting rights.

Others are sites of special interests, whether that be nature or archaeological (or others)

Then of course there are planning restrictions which I think are the same for almost all woodland (could be wrong). I know I cannot build a house or permanent residence, but I also know I can build huts/shelters for keeping tools in and a toilet if I can prove I am actively manage the woodland. I can sleep in a caravan there up to 28 nights per year or have a permanent caravan for a shed.

I am interested in knowing what constitutes a hut, whether I can sleep in that hut, what a treehouse is other than those small ones kids make, how many nights I can sleep there a year is (28?) and other such interesting bits of info which would make a woodland more fun to own and know it is yours.

You will find that most "amenity" woodland that is up for sale will come with lots of "Restrictions" as to what you can do in them!! Thats before you get to the "planning" dept!!!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Out of curiosity, does anyone know why there is this ban on building private residential properties in privately owned woodland?

Just wondering.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
You could also try www.woodlands.co.uk They have useful info for would-be buyers.

Yes, there are restrictions. You can't build anything with foundations but you can put up a shed - for storing forestry tools of course! I've owned a small wood for four and a half years now and am still not sure whether the caravan rule applies to camping but in practice who's counting?

If you want to use it just for camping out and enjoyment there are few practical restrictions. These tend to apply if you start using it for commercial purposes. My advice is go for it.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
It is due to something called zoning here in Scotland. Every 5 years the council looks at their area and classifies the land as Agricultural use, Forestry, housing development, industrial etc. (seperate zones for each). Mainly to stop sprawling developments going across the country willy nilly. It could be that you can purchase a woodland with planning permission but you can chuck 120k on the price of it then.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why there is this ban on building private residential properties in privately owned woodland?

Just wondering.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Thanks, I have been there and it is an excellent site. Still not fully in depth though. There is a yurt inside me I want to build as well as a log cabin and a tipi! I suppose what I want to know is: Can I buy a woods and go and have LOTS of fun in it? ;-)

You could also try www.woodlands.co.uk They have useful info for would-be buyers.

Yes, there are restrictions. You can't build anything with foundations but you can put up a shed - for storing forestry tools of course! I've owned a small wood for four and a half years now and am still not sure whether the caravan rule applies to camping but in practice who's counting?

If you want to use it just for camping out and enjoyment there are few practical restrictions. These tend to apply if you start using it for commercial purposes. My advice is go for it.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Thought about buying one myself, but it would take all my money i had planned for retirement, so i would have to get a return from the wood, ie let it out to bushy types, so i don't know if its the right move for me.

Rob

Not really a viable business option!! From past experience and looking on here most "Bushy" types want to camp for free or pay as little as possible!! I own a fishery and charge £10 per 12 hrs - not many on here would pay that to camp in the woods!!!!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Thanks, I have been there and it is an excellent site. Still not fully in depth though. There is a yurt inside me I want to build as well as a log cabin and a tipi! I suppose what I want to know is: Can I buy a woods and go and have LOTS of fun in it? ;-)

Sure you can.

Someone asked why there are all these regulations. Planning regulations are there because out society can't survive as it is without them. We have to be able to provide the basic essentials for civilized living, and if everyone lived at the end of a three-mile long leafy lane (even if there was room, which there isn't of course) we couldn't do that. Simple economics I'm afraid. But planning regulations are the least of your worries in an adventure like this.

Don't forget that in addition to pleasures there are chores, and in addition to rights there are responsibilities. Think what might happen if for example you left something on the site in a dangerous condition - even without knowing that you had done so - and some kids playing there hurt themselves as a result. Think about spending a lot of time, effort and perhaps money getting the place as you want it to be, and then louts turning up while you're not there and trashing the place. I've seen that happen and it's pretty depressing. Think about what might happen if your trees became diseased, or if every other week your neighbour's deer escaped into your wood and gnawed all the bark.

Sure you can have some fun, and I'm not saying don't do it, but have your eyes open when you do.

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
let me state up front that our (us) property law is likely totally different than yours. however the best money i spent when we bought our ground was on attorneys and the research their staff performed on any ground we considered.

most land use and ownership restrictions are public record (though you may have to pay for the access).

a lawyer versed in property law can save you a lot of heartache down the road.

our environmental protection agency has forced most juridiction to comply with at least rudimentary zoning requirements.

the area we have ground in has a history of temporary native communities, the discovery of one can blow one's use of the ground totally out of the water.

we don't have the hunting or fishing rights question most of the time but mineral rights and access easements are a big issue. it's possible in parts of the country to buy an "island" with no legal access.

at any rate, when you get serious, find a trustworthy and knowlegeable person to do the research that is absolutely necessary to be done before you spend your money. after the fact is too late.

good luck. having your own bit of dirt is absolutely worth it.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
No regrets at buying our little bit of woodland. Plans are advanced for a shelter and other projects but just being there with some field archery and the odd overnighter is worth it.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
let me state up front that our (us) property law is likely totally different than yours. however the best money i spent when we bought our ground was on attorneys and the research their staff performed on any ground we considered.

most land use and ownership restrictions are public record (though you may have to pay for the access).

a lawyer versed in property law can save you a lot of heartache down the road.

All very good points.

our environmental protection agency has forced most juridiction to comply with at least rudimentary zoning requirements.

the area we have ground in has a history of temporary native communities, the discovery of one can blow one's use of the ground totally out of the water.

we don't have the hunting or fishing rights question most of the time but mineral rights and access easements are a big issue. it's possible in parts of the country to buy an "island" with no legal access.

In the UK at least some of the mineral rights issue is easy. If it's fuel or precious metals, you don't get the rights, they're taken by the government. Other mineral rights are in private hands and may or may not have been passed on with the land itself.

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/planning/legislation/mineralOwnership.html

at any rate, when you get serious, find a trustworthy and knowlegeable person to do the research that is absolutely necessary to be done before you spend your money. after the fact is too late.

good luck. having your own bit of dirt is absolutely worth it.

Who was it said "They don't make it any more." ? :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys

I went through the same soul searching before I bought, and nearly five years on I can say I have not regretted it for a second, in fact it's one of the best things I have done. I go there all the time, I have built a tipi and have put up a couple of smaller shelters too. All are easily dismantled if need be and none have foundations so they are classified as tents not buildings.

It is not isolated, in fact a public footpath runs through it which is frequented by dog walkers and ramblers. I decided two things: not to leave anything valuable in the wood nor anything potentially dangerous (axe, saw etc). I also decided not to lock anything up, so if people want to take things, I can't stop them. This has happened once - in the depths of the 2010/11 winter when a blanket and a sheepskin mat disappeared.

I have got to know lots of locals as I always have my dog with me and he has befriended their dogs and it works very well. What clinched it for me apart from my gut instinct was telling myself that even if I never went there the land would be an investment. The reality is that i can't get there enough.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I don't know if it is still the same (or in Scotland), but there used to be some loophole with planning that if you have livestock that need attention full time you were able to stay full time. If my memory serves me right, after so many years of this they then couldn't refuse planning, you would have course still have to have the animals and it would have an agricultral clause on it.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
If I can build a shed on my allotment without planning permission, (and certainly no building regs) then surely you can build something in a woods, though I guess that it would have to be related to the maintenance of the woodland, somewhere to store tools, or shelter from the weather in, but not live in. I guess however you could get by with the same rules that govern "certificated" camping locations, and what would matter is the permanence or otherwise of any structure. Can one legally build a tree house I wonder? I would think in the end it would come down to whether a building inspector is ever likely to find out, and unless something was glaringly obvious to neighbours or poking up above the trees, I wonder if anyone would seriously be concerned about it anymore than they are about an allotment shed.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
You don't need planning permission to build a shed in woodland you need an exemption from planning pemission :) Ie. you need to show that the shed is for forestry purposes before you build it. If you don't and they find out (If neighbours or anyone using the wood can see it expect the local authority to find out) then you need retrospective planning permission which is more difficult and costly. Forestry purposes can include shelter but the design needs to be primarily for forestry equipment and you need to show that you have been actively managing and have a forestry plan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE