Hi guys, a few recent pics in the snow.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Hardly used the camera in the past 8 months as I've been doing a lot of lure fishing. Well the lakes are frozen so I've been out this week. Thought I'd share my pics with some of my old friends.

Fox2010019.jpg

Fox2010016.jpg

Fox2010005-1.jpg

and saving the best til last;

Fox2010003.jpg

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
These are really great photographs. Most folk could spend a lifetime in the countryside and not even get views of wildlife like that far less pictures of
that quality. If you are not a professional photographer then you bloomingwell should be.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Thanks guys, I squeaked the fox to within about 10 feet or so thus the quality of the nose and eyes is nice and sharp. I had to be very quick on manual focus (auto would probably pick up the vegetation in the foreground)as she was gone in seconds as soon as I moved.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Kind comments but the first three are too grainy. For those who are interested in deer, it can be a bit tricky in winter telling a roe doe from a buck (as the buck has shed his antlers).
Here are two photos, one clearly showing the does tail or anal tush.

Doe with anal tush/tail

CSC_0437.jpg

and buck without

Fox2010021.jpg

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Good to see you back, and doing so fantastically at your photography mate.

Hey mate, hope life's all good for you. I've been getting a little lure fishing obsessed (sold the rifle) so it's been nice to be roaming the fields again.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Squeak as in high pitched noise. Foxes will run in to a squeak. But beware, they will sometimes circumvent in order to get down wind from where the squeak is coming from. If they smell you they will be gone in a flash. Deer do likewise when calling them.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
Squeak as in high pitched noise. Foxes will run in to a squeak. But beware, they will sometimes circumvent in order to get down wind from where the squeak is coming from. If they smell you they will be gone in a flash. Deer do likewise when calling them.

Thats the 2nd time today I've heard something like this, I really never heard that before. However, I get why a fox might move towards a squeak thinking its a small animal but why would a deer move towards a squeak in the same way?

Sorry, I also forgot to comment on your brilliant pictures. I'm feeling inspired by your results.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2008
lancashire
nice pics! you should save the last one for next winter to send into country file for an entry into their calender competition, nice work! :D

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Apple Mac - "get info" on the pic. ;)
Now if you would've used Ubuntu to get the info, you would've known he used a lens with focal length 300mm (equivalent to 450mm on 35mm). Not to mention iso 360, 1/499s, f/5.6, Pattern Metering Mode, no flash, firmware Ver.1.00 ... ;) Lots of info in the metadata

Great pictures! :)
How exactly do you squeak? And do you sit there squeaking, waiting for the animals or only do it when they're already close? Sounds interesting

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Thats the 2nd time today I've heard something like this, I really never heard that before. However, I get why a fox might move towards a squeak thinking its a small animal but why would a deer move towards a squeak in the same way?

Sorry, I also forgot to comment on your brilliant pictures. I'm feeling inspired by your results.

Roe deer are 'called' as opposed to 'squeaked' by making the sound of a distressed fawn/kid to entice a doe or the call of a doe in lament to entice a buck.
Red deer are usually called by mimicking a stag roar playing on the territorial instinct.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE