Hi from New England

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I'm originally from England, and now living 25 miles west of Boston, MA. I did a lot of hiking/camping in my youth, mainly in the Lakes and Snowdonia, but dropped out of the habit over the years. 40 years on, I have started again to help lose weight and recover from a bout of congestive heart failure (not terribly pleasant). This year I am starting on the 4,000 ft + peaks in the New Hampshire White mountains. That should keep me busy for a few years. I expect to mainly use a hammock (Hennessy Expedition) for back packing/climbing, but also have a 1 man and a 2 person tent for when a hammock cannot be used. I also have an enormous COleman Hooligan 4 for base/car camping. I'm a gear freak and love my toys.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome!
I have done a bit of walking west of Boston - mainly getting to know folk from one of the schools in the area before I took them on expeditions to South Africa and Thailand.
That "Freedom Trail" in Boston is a good giggle sites of revolutionary massacres (couple of guys got scratched and bruised) and the newish (well compared to my house) semi-detached house once owned by a hero (read traitor) of the revolution :)
Great folk there though and the hills and forests more than good!

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Hello and welcome!...
I... and the hills and forests more than good!

Amazing forests cf. UK. I can climb to the top of our local hill (600ft) and look East to Boston and all that one can see is trees. There are houses, but surrounded by mature trees. One problem when hiking is that all one can see are trees until above the tree line , usually at about 4000 feet. Shouldn't complain, there are more than enough places to hang a hammock.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Amazing forests cf. UK. I can climb to the top of our local hill (600ft) and look East to Boston and all that one can see is trees. There are houses, but surrounded by mature trees. One problem when hiking is that all one can see are trees until above the tree line , usually at about 4000 feet. Shouldn't complain, there are more than enough places to hang a hammock.

I've never been to Boston so my only vision is one of the city as seen on tv. Hope you will post lots of pix of your wanderings for us to correct that.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've never been to Boston so my only vision is one of the city as seen on tv. Hope you will post lots of pix of your wanderings for us to correct that.

I saw the exterior of "Cheers" or some such bar...seems it is a prog on TV...but the interior is all studio :)
My impression of Boston was that it is quite a green city with a nice sailing boat in the harbour....
A very short drive from the city centre and the houses are hidden in trees.
Walden Pond was a let down though.....
What is it like to live around the area?

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Walden Pond was a let down though.....
What is it like to live around the area?

I've been here since 1992, so I assume I don't find it unbearable.
Seriously, I do like it. There is great sailing in the area, and super hiking. The only disturbing thing is that nearly every decent hill has a road of some kind leading to the summit, and a host of cell p[hone towers at the summit. The highest in Massachusetts, Grey Lock, has a lodge and a war memorial; at the top, and a tarmaced road . The forests are all second growth, and you come across the cellar holes of farm houses which used to be there up until about 150 years ago, and dry stone walls straight up the side of the mountain (just like the Lakes/Snowdonia except they're in thickly wooded areas). No sheep pasture here. To be correct, I'm more of a hiker than a bushcrafter, but one of my neighbors came to a cook out last summer with venison sausages he had made , from the offcuts of a deer he had hunted himself, with a bow! The casings were actually the intestines of the deer. He wasted nothing. SO I'm in good bushcrafting company.

Will try to post some photos once the season gets under way properly. (still a lot of snow on the ground hereabouts).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE