Hexamine stoves on planes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I'm off to the Sierra de Subbeticas on the borders of Granada and Cordoba provinces in October and I'm wondering what to take for a quick brew.

Is my hexamine stove going to start sirens and flashing lights if it is in my hold baggage?

I'd take my kelly kettle but they have had a succession of dry weather and any whiff of woodmoke and the helicopters will be up I reckon.

David

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Probably best to check with the airline directly rather than going on hearsay from the forum.... I know last time I travelled they would not allow any type of fuel to be taken on the plane.... and things are alot tighter now.

Ed

SiriusB

Sep 19, 2006
Manchester, UK
According to the BAA Heathrow website no flammable liquids or solids are allowed on the plane.

Sorry! Looks like you need a plan C :)

SiriusB

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I took a hexy stove in my hold baggage to portugal this July, but since the London terror threat recently I dunno if they've tightened up on screening. Worst that could happen IMHO is that you may get a pull and have to leave the hexy behind... In which case you've lost about £3.00 Worth a gamble perhaps

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
RAF won't let us fly on their aircraft with hexy!! I'm pretty sure it won't be allowed on a civvy airliner. Saying that, RAF don't allow us to fly with an opened pack of AA batteries!! :lmao:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Bent Stick leave the hexy at home i'm afraid. You will get into serious trouble trying to take it aboard. i really wouldnt want to spend 28 days trying to covince the police that all i wanted was a cuppa.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
Officially hexamine is an explosive although unused as such since ww2 it is one of the components the 7/7 bombers probably used. Best and safest bet is take a pop can stove and pick some meths up over there or find a surplus store and get some esbit or trioxane tablets.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
crazydave said:
Officially hexamine is an explosive although unused as such since ww2 it is one of the components the 7/7 bombers probably used. Best and safest bet is take a pop can stove and pick some meths up over there or find a surplus store and get some esbit or trioxane tablets.

Although the government released a statement, that one of the components used in the 7/7 bombing was likely/probably to have contained hexi (hexamethylenetetramine) in a peroxide-based explosive called HMTD, or hexamethylene triperoxide diamine
It is more likely to have been a loose powder synthesised from formaldehyde and ammonia, it’s much easier to handle and simple to use as a primer, rather than try and crush Hexi blocks.
back on topic I’ve checked and no British airlines are allowing any form of solid or liquid fuels in hand or baggage luggage.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Reminds me of a story a friends dad once told us, he was in the parachute regiment travelling by Hercules, long trip, some of the guys he was travelling with decided to brew up. Hexamine stove in a Hercules! (C130 for our cousins in the colonies) this did not impress the pilot who threatened to jettison those responsible along with the stove.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
pothunter said:
Reminds me of a story a friends dad once told us, he was in the parachute regiment travelling by Hercules, long trip, some of the guys he was travelling with decided to brew up. Hexamine stove in a Hercules! (C130 for our cousins in the colonies) this did not impress the pilot who threatened to jettison those responsible along with the stove.

Heard that one before, not quite as dangerous but nearly is brewing up in the cab of a truck, in my defence the convoy moves in the bad old days went on for ever :D

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Thanks all.

I'll see what I can pick up at the camp site in Ithnazar (even though it is on the other side of the National park to where I was planning to be). It's not worth risking it. I might be able to pick up some meths/denatured. I'll pop the trangia burner in my day pack. There's no shortage of rocks to make a windshield/support - sorted. It's just that solid fuel is so convenient.

Might be interesting if they put a sniffer on my bag. There's probably enough residue to kick it off...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE