Heres an idea; Themed bushmoots

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
enjoyed myself much with Lupus at his meet

But I had an idea

I dont get a chance to go away much and I havent been to a beach in years. Id like to go but have no one to go with. (and travel, if you have not some very specific aim in mind, is very dull on your own)

we should have some themed moots; say one at the seaside, another in the mountains, all in different enviroments

(how about a winter one in the snow? Id love that)

what do you think?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I like that idea, nice one Tengu!
There are plenty of local meets already runing so they maybe the idea could be incorporated? This would give a focus for people too, I went to a scottish meet and had a great time but it is too far to travel for each meet, but if the local meets had a theme once a year, it would give me extra incentive to travel further afield for that meet. It could encourage the swapping of skills from group to group(area to area really) and widen the number of people we all meet. Maybe even get the BB crowd to host one?

When I first started to read your suggestion I had visions of beachwear and togas!

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Toga! Toga! :D :lmao:

Seriouslt though, surely a 'snow-themed' bushmoot would be pretty hard to plan? It'd be a case of ''if you can get here before the sun comes up, then there may be a little bit of frost/snow/slush for the first few lucky members''. ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What about one themed on Dickens novel "Oliver"?

If someone then asks for a guest speaker Mr Beadle coulde yell "Mors???????"

I'll get me coat

Red

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Pirate meet anyone??? :swordfigh

Actually it's a very good idea. The danger is that the meet ups become just a social gathering as we all start to feel we've done it before.

Introducing themes would bring out new demonstrations and hidden talents and keep that vital freshness to the scene.

As Goose says it would also encourage members to travel more. Quite a few of the NW members have done the far flung meets and moots but I sense a reluctance to travel from some other areas. ;)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Pirate meet,
Viking meet,
Mountainman meet,
LOTR meet,

All of the above require what we know as bushcraft skills.
I suppose authentic, or semi authentic kit could be fun but the emphasis would be on bushcraft skills used in the period.

Interesting post Tengu, it need quite a bit more thought though.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
No, no, NO....

I want to go to the beach...

...then I want to play in the snow

Ah, I understand now. So really instead of themes, you'd like specific bushcraft scenarios like seashore bushcraft, mountain bushcraft, winter bushcraft and stuff like that.

How about urban bushcraft. We could all hang out at macdonalds and stuff our faces with burgers. (That'd be a sight, all of us tooled up with knives and axes, sitting round a campfire in MacDonald's car park cooking up dinner on our zebra billies. Any bets as to how long it would take before an armed response unit turned up?)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't think we should be so restrictive Goose - we could go traditional English too. If we had it in in May there is (May) Pole dancing as well as Lapp dancing

Red

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
As Goose says it would also encourage members to travel more. Quite a few of the NW members have done the far flung meets and moots but I sense a reluctance to travel from some other areas. ;)
If you mean getting the teuchters south of the border - it's not easy to drive a couple of hours into feudal englandshire when the same couple of hours can get you to the west coast instead. I'll admit that readily, having had good intentions of making a north meet or two.:eek:

I could probably rustle up the ok for a seashore meet but access is an issue. It's hard to feel comfortable inviting folk somewhere that getting to can be at best tricky and at worst dangerous.
Canoes don't even solve it fully because setting a meet date means putting up with whatever the weather comes up with on the day. If someone had an eight-seater rib they could bring along it'd be a different story.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE