Here is my choice items to carry EVERY time i am in teh wild places

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Don't get me wrong, they're not bullet proof, but few things are. If you need something to quickly light a fire, they're great. But if I have a full kit with me - out camping, hunting, etc. - I'll generally have a fero rod in there too as a fool proof way to get a spark. But if I really need a fire quickly, for whatever reason, I'll go for the bic.

The Clipper lighters are ALMOST bullet proof. I have stood on mine before now and not broken them and believe me you would not want my weight baring down on you, just ask my Mrs on that one!

I follow Dave's regular YouTube channel. I disagree with him on a lot of things, but I like the guy and I enjoy watching him. I haven't seen any of Jamie's sruff before.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm just curious as to what folks tend to disagree with? I don't want to sound like a fanboy or anything but all his logic is sound and the gear he choices is what works for him. Kits are meant to match an individuals skill set and environment so what he carries will differ from the next guy

rg598

Native
I'm just curious as to what folks tend to disagree with? I don't want to sound like a fanboy or anything but all his logic is sound and the gear he choices is what works for him. Kits are meant to match an individuals skill set and environment so what he carries will differ from the next guy

This is a good thread. I don't want to derail it with a discussion about Dave. I simply do not think his logic is sound, and I find many of his gear choices impractical for actual use in the woods and at times bordering on the absurd. I'm happy to discuss the issue through PM if you're interested.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

thank you all for commenting!
let me clear up a few things if i may please.

I have a 1/2x6in ferro rod that is on my belt knife shesath at all times, so that was not mentioned/i figured that that was a standard for us all.

the shelter i have in my kit is my very large waterproof match coat. i believe that what you wear out when you leave your house is your first defence against any foul weather, and too add in a pair of proper boots for the elements, and a wind and waterproof parka that can be taughtlined into a makesgift shelter or just hunker down under a tree is much lighter than carrying a fl\ull blown tarp....just for a day hike etc, as if i were going to PLAN for an overnight or extended stay i would carry a better shelter etc.

as for the fat...if its rendered properly, it will not go rancid. its the meat and fatty bits that do not get strained out that is a breeding ground for bacteria.
i use it for cracked skin,lips,fish bait, animal traps, rust prevention on my gun and knives, primitive lamp oil,the list goes on!

Yes please pm me if any of you all have questions.
i will gladly answer them all

this kit in my eyes is very sound.
we are trained to utilize everything in a 10 pc kit for first aid, and signalling as well, so no need for those iteams to weigh you down.

i hope this clears anything up so far!

honestly i would love to hear your questions and concerns openly if the moderators do not mind.
i believe that we all can be civil and be open minded, as thats really how we learn about each other.

Learning to deal with strangers and different personalities is a big deal when it comes to preparing for a survival situation, or a bad situation at hand...as we never really choose who we sit next to on the bus,train or plane when a disater is about to happen.

i would like to share my comments and way of thinking to the whole group if i may.
That way if i am wrong or seem wrong folks may be able to tell me where i am missing a key element etc.

im an honest person and do not really need to hide my ways or teachings in a pm.
i hope you all agree with my thinking.

lets get the ball rolling!

please be civil and no deleborate attactks please, and i will try and answer all questions about me, or the school and teachings.
thank you, and hopefully you all can teach me a thing or 2!
~jlb

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE