Here is my choice items to carry EVERY time i am in teh wild places

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
1. oilcloth haversack
2. my full length water proof oilskin watch coat- under 3 pounds and is a shelter option, video to come!
3.lighter attatched to the haverstrap, for ease and wrapped with gorilla tape for bandage,repair and tinder
4.i have a pouch with a headlamp,spare batteries,a fire tool, paracord,hands of bankline
5.mini infreno
6.tin of animal fat
7.roll of 1in gorilla tape
8.bacho saw
9. supertool 300
10,ss. bottle and nesting cup

This is shelter,container,combustion,cordage, 2 extra cutting tools,first aid,plus some.
all in one handy haversack that can double for carrying water and a kneeling pad!
~jlb

IMG_2098.JPG
[/IMG]
IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2101.JPG

rg598

Native
Thanks for posting you kit. There are some interesting choices there. I assume this is a day kit because I don't see any sleep system, and water filtration (it would be extremely tedious to do with the bottle).

For what do you use the animal fat? I can see it being used as fire starter, but you already have the mini inferno. How long does it usually last you before going rancid?

The watch coat is also an interesting choice. It's a very heavy item. For that weight you can bring a waterproof jacket, waterproof pants, and a 3x3 (10ft x 10ft) tarp; or you could bring an army surplus poncho and a sleeping bag. Also, do you go on horseback into the woods? A full length coat is very difficult to move in while walking in the woods.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.......and it's safe near open fire.

Interesting to see someone else's grab bag stuff. We all have different lives and different interests/activities.
Maybe that's the bit that's the puzzle ? Ross does a lot of walking in inclement weather, I just go for a wander :) What do you do Jamie B ?

Neat idea for a thread though....Sam? want to kick off one ?

atb,
M

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
You have faith in the robustness of bic lighters that I don't have.

I used to always carry a 35mm film canister containing matches, striker pad, needle+thread (for repair of clothes/bag), scraper blade.

N

Nomad

I'm beginning to wonder what I carry every day, woods/outdoors or not. And maybe what I should.

Might have a little stock-take this evening...

Haggis

Nomad
Interesting choices of what to carry and what to carry it all in. I've carried a carried shell bag for many decades as my everyday go to bag, what I carry in it is different, but I can see from your choices, I could make some additions.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Nice bit of kit. The only thing that stands out to me as being maybe an odd choice is the lighter. I prefer the metal clipper lighters. Cheap and tough as nails.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great stuff mate! I do love oilcloth stuff!

I'm not all sold on the lighter, I prefer a ferro cerium rod :).

Thanks for posting that! :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Nice kit. I'm surprised at the lack of love for the good old bic lighter. They have never, ever let me down and are the logical choice when you really need to quickly light a fire. I'm never without a bic lighter and a SAK farmer in my pocket.

I like good old fashioned stuff and find your choice of outer layer interesting too. I've always fancied a full length oil cloth coat as a waterproof layer for when I'm out on the harley, but you just don't see them over here and I hadn't the spare cash to buy one the last time I was in the 'States.

Can I assume based on the Pathfinder Scout patch you've done some of Dave Canterbury's courses? I know some people don't like him, but I agree with a lot of what he says and love the whole '21st century longhunter' philosophy. Would love to go on one of his courses, but the distance makes it a no go :(

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Oh, I find bic lighters work - until something bangs the top and knocks the bits apart. Say, someone using the bag to kneel on, squashing the lighter . . .

Then it is nearly impossible to get the little buggers reassembled so that they work. This is true of most lighters.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Russ gave me one of those turbo lighters and it's been brilliant :D Needs a good blow through to clear it sometimes, but I've never not been able to light it.
The little peanut lighter that hangs on my keyring is very good too. I'm out, my keys are in my bag or my pocket, it's always there.

cheers,
M

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Oh, I find bic lighters work - until something bangs the top and knocks the bits apart. Say, someone using the bag to kneel on, squashing the lighter . . .

Then it is nearly impossible to get the little buggers reassembled so that they work. This is true of most lighters.

Don't get me wrong, they're not bullet proof, but few things are. If you need something to quickly light a fire, they're great. But if I have a full kit with me - out camping, hunting, etc. - I'll generally have a fero rod in there too as a fool proof way to get a spark. But if I really need a fire quickly, for whatever reason, I'll go for the bic.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I carry a turbo lighter but have had two failures in the past (a Primus and a Silva) so will always have a few Bic's dotted about me and my kit.

Interesting kit there Jamie.

Nice kit. I'm surprised at the lack of love for the good old bic lighter. They have never, ever let me down and are the logical choice when you really need to quickly light a fire. I'm never without a bic lighter and a SAK farmer in my pocket.

I like good old fashioned stuff and find your choice of outer layer interesting too. I've always fancied a full length oil cloth coat as a waterproof layer for when I'm out on the harley, but you just don't see them over here and I hadn't the spare cash to buy one the last time I was in the 'States.

Can I assume based on the Pathfinder Scout patch you've done some of Dave Canterbury's courses? I know some people don't like him, but I agree with a lot of what he says and love the whole '21st century longhunter' philosophy. Would love to go on one of his courses, but the distance makes it a no go :(
i believe he's a pathfinder instructor/ friends with dave

rg598

Native
i believe he's a pathfinder instructor actually

Now some of the choices make sense. :) Still, not my cup of tea.

On the BIC lighter issue, I have no problem relying on one. I carry one in my pocket and one in my cook kit. I also have matches in my pocket as a backup, but have never had to use them. In more than a decade I've never had one fail, let alone two.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Now some of the choices make sense. :) Still, not my cup of tea.

On the BIC lighter issue, I have no problem relying on one. I carry one in my pocket and one in my cook kit. I also have matches in my pocket as a backup, but have never had to use them. In more than a decade I've never had one fail, let alone two.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
not sure if you follow dave on youtube but he has pathfinder tv, Jamie is part of the series he also has a very informative youtube channel of his own

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE