Herbal remedies

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
My personal fav is The complete book of herbs by Lesley Bremness.
The complete new herbal by Richard mabey is good too..

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Herbals are like mice, you never have only one. It is not that it is a pest of a subject, but you can never take one persons word as gospel. I have shelf of herbals, some new and well researched some not so, but still useful in some way. Some of the older re prints are really funny ( barnacle geese in gerards) and some are still useful if cross refrenced.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Herbals are like mice, you never have only one. It is not that it is a pest of a subject, but you can never take one persons word as gospel. I have shelf of herbals, some new and well researched some not so, but still useful in some way. Some of the older re prints are really funny ( barnacle geese in gerards) and some are still useful if cross refrenced.

Any examples of books you would recomend for a starter wishing to learn the ropes, including methods of preparation??

Ive ordered a couple to start with:

"Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine (DK Natural Health)"
Andrew Chevallier;

"Herbal Remedies (Eyewitness Companions)"
Andrew Chevallier;

What do you think??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm in full agreement with Xylaria, one book never has it all..........even if you write it for yourself, there's always something else you find out :)

Herbal Drugs and Phytopharmaceuticals
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...rbal+drugs+and+phytopharmaceuticals&x=18&y=12

Excellent book, doesn't cover all of the stuff you might wish but the detail is superb. A bit of a budget buster though :eek:

The Green Pharmacy
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...s&field-keywords=The+green+pharmacy&x=14&y=22

Rather N. American plant based sometimes, but lots that's available here too, and a good way of thinking about stuff.

cheers,
Toddy

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I'm in full agreement with Xylaria, one book never has it all..........even if you write it for yourself, there's always something else you find out :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...rbal+drugs+and+phytopharmaceuticals&x=18&y=12

Excellent book, doesn't cover all of the stuff you might wish but the detail is superb. A bit of a budget buster though :eek:

The Green Pharmacy
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...s&field-keywords=The+green+pharmacy&x=14&y=22

Rather N. American plant based sometimes, but lots that's available here too, and a good way of thinking about stuff.

cheers,
Toddy

Cheers Toddy, I'll take a good look at the links tomorrow mate.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Hey Stu, my friend says she has too many to list but her absolute favourite is a book called Holistic Herbal by David Hoffman. The synopsis says..
"Holistic Herbal" covers everything you need to know about growing, gathering, preparing, using and taking herbal medicines to improve and maintain health. With simple line drawn herb illustrations throughout, the book contains: a simple introduction to health, well-being and how your body works; a guide to specific health problems and concerns (you don't need to be sick to take a herbal cure!) and "which herb" for a range of conditions; and an A-Z herbal, covering over 200 different medicinal herbs and plants. This section comprises the main part of the book and is full of detailed information about each herb.

Sounds good to me!:D

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Hey Stu, my friend says she has too many to list but her absolute favourite is a book called Holistic Herbal by David Hoffman. The synopsis says..
"Holistic Herbal" covers everything you need to know about growing, gathering, preparing, using and taking herbal medicines to improve and maintain health. With simple line drawn herb illustrations throughout, the book contains: a simple introduction to health, well-being and how your body works; a guide to specific health problems and concerns (you don't need to be sick to take a herbal cure!) and "which herb" for a range of conditions; and an A-Z herbal, covering over 200 different medicinal herbs and plants. This section comprises the main part of the book and is full of detailed information about each herb.

I dont believe it!! I talked myself out of buying this one. It may have to wait until ive read the other two.

Cheers Rhoda.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian

Hi,I've got this book and love it!
Would highly recommend it. Also my friend who is a medical herbalist has it and loves it too. It's not too expensive and you might even be able to get one second hand on amazon.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------

The Green Pharmacy

cheers,
Toddy

One thing I have a bit of trouble with is thet some herbal books seem to lose a lot of credibility by not being very scientific in their aproach and as soon as Homeopathy comes into it I switch off totally, those two look a bit more like it from my point of view, is there any chance you could give a brief review?
Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Scott.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh me too :D I have the old receipt books with the extra details that go with them, but they are very subjective, and while sometimes they are incredibly detailed, at times they are also unbelievably vague.

The Phytophamacopoeia is ruthlessly scientific. It specifies exactly which plant, where from, and which part of the plant to be used. It also describes it's acceptable constituents for use and gives clear guidelines for appropriate application and dosages. Just excellent.
Expensive but I'd happily buy it again if I lost my copy.

The Green Pharmacy is more a lifestyle kind of book but full of good advice and appropriate herbs and their applications. Surprisingly practical, though it reads like a conversation. It wasn't expensive and I've more than had my moneys worth from it.

I'll happily bring them along for folks to have a read if there's a suitable meet up.

cheers,
Toddy

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Oh me too :D I have the old receipt books with the extra details that go with them, but they are very subjective, and while sometimes they are incredibly detailed, at times they are also unbelievably vague.

The Phytophamacopoeia is ruthlessly scientific. It specifies exactly which plant, where from, and which part of the plant to be used. It also describes it's acceptable constituents for use and gives clear guidelines for appropriate application and dosages. Just excellent.
Expensive but I'd happily buy it again if I lost my copy.

The Green Pharmacy is more a lifestyle kind of book but full of good advice and appropriate herbs and their applications. Surprisingly practical, though it reads like a conversation. It wasn't expensive and I've more than had my moneys worth from it.

I'll happily bring them along for folks to have a read if there's a suitable meet up.

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks Toddy that was the info I was looking for, will bung both on my wish list but although its the herbal drugs and phytopharmaceuticals one I really want it will be the other (read cheaper) one I will get first.

Ta muchly, Scott.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE