Hennessy mods...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
I'm a bit of a tinkerer when it comes to gear... but like to get advice before taking the knife to an expensive bit of kit!

Does anybody know of someone who has successfully replaced the mossie netting on a Hennessy hammock with something a bit more solid? I'm wondering if it will help make it warmer, like a suspended bivvy or single skin tent. I realise that condensation might be an issue then, but i can design around that. Maybe even go for full velcro attachment so i can interchange between mossie net and 'solid'. I know these guys do some interesting variations:

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/id2.html

I think i'm going to do the zipper mod on one side to make it a top-loader anyway. I'm fed up of doing the worm/wriggle/slide/fall out/swear/try again dance almost every time i get in.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I can highly recommend one of 2Q ZQ's zipper mods, but don't bother trying to replace the mossie netting. Hennessy already do a top cover for their hammocks. Just get one of those and leave the mossie netting in place for when you need it during the summer months.

The only downside that I can think of is that the top cover might only be available as part of the whole 'Super Shelter' system, rather than as a stand alone item, I can't quite remember because it's been years since I bought mine.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Curiosity got the better of me so I had a look: Hennessy actually call it an Over cover, not a top cover, as I called it and it can be purchased separately rather than as part of the 'Super Shelter.'

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
yep HH do a over cover and an under cover super shelter system that really makes it a lot warmer

they also do a side open zip version now as well that has a bulit in double base for insulation

ATB

Duncan
shingsoa, I'd sell your Hennessey and get this newer version! sound like it ticks all the boxes!

huffhuff

Forager
Sep 20, 2010
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
yep HH do a over cover and an under cover super shelter system that really makes it a lot warmer

they also do a side open zip version now as well that has a bulit in double base for insulation

ATB

Duncan

Just be careful, not all come with double base. My EXPEDITION ASYM ZIP definitely doesn't.

Just be careful, not all come with double base. My EXPEDITION ASYM ZIP definitely doesn't.

you need the Deep Jungle version its a particular model look in the HH website

http://hennessyhammock.com/specs-deep_jungle_small.html

however it is an expensive one as its made using the light weight materials etc (the suspention ropes are little thicker than paracord )

aalso the top cover isnt designed to fit it due to teh zip but should be a simple MOD (tho it might now or soon as they liked the idea when i phoned them to discuss it )

Last edited:

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I have had the 2 zip modification done by 2QZQ in USA and can recommend the quality and the service, (indeed just received today, a ridge line tidy for my bits and bobs). For added insulation I currently use an under- and over-blanket arrangement which once set up* works well.
Alan

* Some tinkering to set line lengths etc first two outings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE