Hennessy Hammock ridgeline modification?

Apr 27, 2012
uk
Hello,

I wanted to pick brains regarding modifying my hammock. I'd like to pitch my hex tarp separately from the hammock, just so I have some standing room under the hammock and to avoid the crappy tarp sag I seem plagued with or the tarp pinging off the prussock hook.
So I'm wondering if there is a kit to do this, or do I buy the bits separately and if so, what are they and where do I get them from! ?

Many thanks!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd just use a separate line and keep it simple, either tie short lengths off the ends of your tarp or use one continuous line, my preference is for the longer one.

Don't go mad with some thick climbing cord as it's total over kill, have a look at some arborist's throw line at around 2mm diameter.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi Hutt,

I do the same as shewie suggests with my Hennessy and hex fly.

Put up your hammock as normal then throw up a ridge line between the same trees as far above the hammock as required (I normally use paracord).
You can make up some prussics to anchor it to the ridge line for extra stability.

I know what you mean about the tarp sagging but attach it to the hammock in cold weather to help keep the heat in!

Cheers, Hamster

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
When I use the Hex tarp, I hang it separate from the hammock. I just use lines from the ends of the tarp to the tree and attach with a taut line hitch. tarp and hammock go in different snakeskins. If using the smaller asym tarp when backpacking, tend to attach to the hammock lines and just use one snakeskin for both. Bear in mind that the weather is much more predictable here (NE USA) so I don't get caught in the rain as one would in Wales (which has two seasons - the rainy season, and the really rainy season), so single packing everything in one snakeskin (or bag for that matter) is usually not a problem.

Apr 27, 2012
uk
Hi Chaps,

Thanks so much for that, I've just bought some 2mm Dynenna, mini line locks and Carbiners, Pretty sure that should do it?

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
woops... bit late, its actually a bit of a pain, prussocks do not grip on it!

They do mate, it just needs more wraps. ;)

Dyneema is super slippy. It doesn't want to grip hard anyway-just enough holding power to hold it tight when pitched is plenty. I have 8 wrap Klemheists and they are just right, Prussics are very similar.

If you aim for a 30kg slip then thats ample for most UK use. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE