Hennessy and Midges - the next chapter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Couldnt decide whether this needed a new thread or should have gone under Beer Monsters post.

Hammock arrived yesterday - Asym Expedition ( sorry said Explorer first time round ) plus snake skin. Collected from couriers today - so what follows is very much initial view and result of putting it up twice and a quick siesta this afternoon!

You will have gathered that, despite brain as big as a planet etc etc - I can be pretty dim on the uptake; so polite pointers/ observations welcome.

Comes in a nice bag with instructions printed on it. Leaves no one within 10 metres in doubt that you are in the Hennessy Club! :)

Nicely put together and on first glance well finished. Was a little concerned at longevity of the system given tension appears to be carried through a thin 'paracord' and the base fabric. Got impression that if it goes/ rips - it'll go spectacularly.

I repeat - only had for a few hours and slept in it for all of an hour; very early days. But at risk of sounding picky, I am not convinced this is £80 plus worth of kit.

Secondly, the web straps to protect the trees etc ( a very valid point ), were effectively car seat belt material. Seems over engineered for task - consequently a relatively heavy addition to an otherwise touted light-weight system. What are the tapes like on the Ray Mears/ Eco system?

It went up quite easily - would go along with 3 minute up claims etc. I have read and re-read the instructions and assume there are supposed to be two fly attachment gizmos - one on each support line? I got one only, so had to go field expedient to put the flysheet up. Coming back to price, an irritating ommission ( if I'm correct ). However, I did like the prusik knot system - neat, simple and effective - very in spirit of Bushcraft.

Despite following guide on height setting and tensioning, I had to redo several times to actually get airborne under full weight. OK, I'm a porker, but system had a considerable degree of strrrreeettttcch :p

I know why no video of actually getting in appears on the website! It is as simple as they describe - just not lady like! Getting out with cat-like grace is going to take some practise and digging out the Rosemary Conley video.

The integral midge screen is a bit strange and could be claustrophobic at times. But did rapidly get used to it and even gentle breeze did filter through. Doesnt seem to carry any load - very tempting to look at making one side demountable. Anyone been there?

They are absolutely spot on - once ensconced, it is comfy - suited aforementioned porker very nicely! Will be trying it tonight in the top field.

Final gripey bit - whilst snoozing, started to notice maybe two dozen or more snags in the netting. Nothing outrageous and must have been there at packing. Hi-lighted because I was looking out at a clear blue sky. Nothing was ripped or torn, just symetry of the weave was pulled. It did however result in gaps plenty large enough for midge invasion. Depends whether they do or not - time will tell.
Snags didnt seem to really be a manufacturing defect - just a consequence of having a fine and light weight net.

So - thumbs up or down? To be honest - kinda neutral for the moment. I need some field time with it. With a phrase that drives marketing men and quality control bonkers... ' guess I expected something a bit 'more', but not sure what'.

How does this accord with you guys?

Oakleaf

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Interesting Andy, I've got the unltra lightweight one and really like it. The tree huggers are 1 inch webbing on mine. So basically seat belt material yes.
Should be in it's element in this hot weather...

Have fun !!!

Cheers

Mark

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Buckshot

They full 2" seat belt type straps with this one.

I dont do 'lightweight' nuffin! :D

Will get a better feel after tonight. Also highly conscious that if does prove midge resistant then all other considerations pale!

Rod

On a new journey
Oakleaf,

It took me a little while to get the hang of it: I started with an ultralite; but being somewhat above the weight limit I graduated to the exped. asymm. Have snakes and now hex fly -. This I couldn't live without. First night in it I had a slight sea-sick feeling from the swaying motion. This soon passed. Have had some of the best nights sleep out ever in mine - which is quite a while. For me, the expense was worth it.

If you are going to the Merthyr meet look Jamie up from Woodland: he will give you some tips. I can't make it I'm afraid. :(

I hope this helps - let me know
regards

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Well, thats my first night.

Several 'ins n outs' on, I am getting the hang of it. Cat like grace may be a while yet! :cool:

A few observations -

1. It is extremely comfortable.
2. Slept without rain sheet and found midge net didnt detract too much from being outside.
3. Surprised how stable it was - no sensation of sway, stood up well to my usual acrobatic sleep pattern.
4. After scorching day here - circa 28C, slept with just SnugPac 6. However did turn to quite a cool night and there were noticeable cool spots where my weight compressed the insulation. Easy solved with a sleep mat - as to be fair, was advised.
5. Downward leg flips did result in the velcro giving and feet dangling a bit - told you I was acrobatic!
6. Snags etc notwithstanding, spent happy hour snoozing this morning and watching the midges explore the netting. None got through!

Unless you have experienced the horror of the midge, hard to explain. But point #6 alone puts the set up a long way up in my esteem. Guess I am coming round.

I would be very grateful for any tips on use/ set up etc from the crew.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Finally rained last night - sorry if appear weird.

Fly worked very well. This system is growing on me and for all apparent lightweight construction, seems to be holding up very well to my ham fisted efforts.

Whipperlys were on the ball about the missing tensioner/ hook - but had to refer me to Woodland organics. Quick e mail resulted in a friendly phone call about 5 minutes later and required part was in the post. Very nice people to deal with.

Figuring out most things - slowly. Bit sparse on the handy hints guys :rolleyes: - or is it so simple I really should have twigged by myself...... dont answer that!

Snakeskins work very well - I would highly recommend. Whilst unpacking I solved the 'tugged' netting thing - if not sealed up, the velcro in the opening was catching the netting.

So on balance, after grand total of three nights I am happy with my acquisition. All reports indicate it should wear well, so my initial views may prove wholly unfounded - if thats the case I may even conceed the £80 was worth it! ;)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Glad you like them Oakleaf, they're great bits of kit. Just a shame I don't use mine any more than I do ! SWMBO !!!

Cheers

Mark

J

Jamie

Oakleaf said:
Finally rained last night - sorry if appear weird.

Fly worked very well. This system is growing on me and for all apparent lightweight construction, seems to be holding up very well to my ham fisted efforts.

Whipperlys were on the ball about the missing tensioner/ hook - but had to refer me to Woodland organics. Quick e mail resulted in a friendly phone call about 5 minutes later and required part was in the post. Very nice people to deal with.

Figuring out most things - slowly. Bit sparse on the handy hints guys :rolleyes: - or is it so simple I really should have twigged by myself...... dont answer that!

Snakeskins work very well - I would highly recommend. Whilst unpacking I solved the 'tugged' netting thing - if not sealed up, the velcro in the opening was catching the netting.

So on balance, after grand total of three nights I am happy with my acquisition. All reports indicate it should wear well, so my initial views may prove wholly unfounded - if thats the case I may even conceed the £80 was worth it! ;)

Hey Andy

Glad the system has grown on you and its 'almost' worth it!! ;) And also glad to have been of help!

The only thing I would say in putting up the Hennessy is that you dont need to have it as taut as you may think. Apart from that, most people figure out what is best for them.

I hope you have many many of the most comfortable nights kipping in it!

All the best and thanks for your kind words

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE