hemlock

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
how can yu positivly identify and there fore avoid this plant
i have seen pictures of it and im sure i have passed it as i have been in and out of the wilds all my life i have been reading recenltly how poisonous it is and would feel much happier knowing exacly without dought how to identify
any tips ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it has reddish purple spots on a smooth stem, leave it well alone :approve:

There's a good link on one of the water sites. I'll see if I can find it.

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There is Hemlock Conium Maculatum that was used to bump off Socrates, which produces progressive signs of poisoning such as paralysis, convulsions, etc but this can take some hours. This smells of mice when crushed and has purple spots on the stem.

There is also Hemlock water dropwort Oenanthe crocata which is more poisonous but less famous. This looks and smells like flat leaf parsley. When this plant is crushed the juice yellows on contact with air, also the where the leaf stalk meets the stem they entirely sheath the main stem. There is pictures of this in the overlevnad book. Hemlock water dropwort is only plant I know of that one of the features at autopsy is that there are pieces of it still in the mouth. You eat it, you enter status seizure, and then you die.

There are six other species of Oenanthe that grow in britian, and they all look completely different. All oenanthes are wetland plants some are coastal only. They are less poisonous than hemlock or hemlock water dropwort, but can still kill.

So beware of the wet-footed carrot and the plant stained with philosphers blood.

You can touch all the above plants in fact I cant reliable ID any member of the carrot family without touching and sniffing. Truthfully I am too nervous to entertain the idea of eating any member of carrot family even when I can ID them, but I eat amantias.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pdf/h_overlevnad.pdfPg 68 hope you understand swedish

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
cheers chaps
cleared that one up for me i will make a point of looking for the things in the coming month so i know what it is for sure.
i think the purple is the give away.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Hemlock also grows very tall. I've seen it up to about 7ft. There was loads of Hemlock water dropwort were I was camping last week in Dartmoor and a few kids playing around in the river very nearby. They wern't touching the stuff but I did consider letting the parents know about it (just in case) but didn't in the end. I felt awkward that they might think I was some kind of crank. I just kept an eye open myself, but they wern't of the 'stuff everything in your mouth that you can lay your hands on' age and all was well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE