Help with wool.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Wifey brought back some washed,dyed and carded wool from the Falklands, and I was just trying to find out wheather we could spin it with our hands? if there is a good tecnique? any help would be great, we've about enough to make 100g ball.
Mukwa used for scale and contrast.
DSCF3299.jpg

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
LoL @ piccy... cant help with the wool, although my mam knitted everything, teddy's, blanky's, you name it!

Mukwa looks very, very comfy :)

Last edited:

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
The short answer is yess you can.

You can use a small spinner which is a little like a long spinning top (or a length of dowel with a toy wheel knocked on and hooks in the ends).
I understand it takes a pit of practice though, i have a friend who is most proficcient and makes lovel eaven thread, however most people that buy shanks appear to go for ones that fluctuate in size on purpose. Which i am sure would have been frowned on back in the day as poor workmanship :)

I'd Just use a search engine - there are many many sites covering this here is just the first example i found;

http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/

Hope that helps

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Go to WHSmiths and find the latest copy of Bushcraft magazine. Read the section on spinning wool then put it back as it is £4 and is no better than the advice you can get from here. They had a dowelling with what looked like part of a drinks bottle on it. Only saw it skimming through and went back to see what it was about so a bit vague about it.

BTW I think the blue is more Mukwa's colour. Suits better I think. The green at a push but don't thin Mukwa carries the prange off too well. :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Falklands wool is lovely stuff :D

Yes, it can be spun quite easily.
If you send me your address by pm I'll send you a copy of the print out I make as a handout when I'm teaching spinning, and send you some British tops to practice on first.

Spindles are easily made, but good ones, that actually keep spinning for you, are a matter of getting the balance of whorl size and weight to spindle, right. I can recommend a few makers though and you can get one that will work well for about £6. If you want it with more roving and instructions it's about £9.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE