Help with tree identification

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Recently I've been paying a lot of attention to trees when i'm out walking round my favourite local spot, I want to develop a knowledge of how to identify different the different sorts. I thought I'd start by looking out for one type of tree first, get that one firmly set in my mind and then move on to another instead of trying to learn lots at once.
i've noticed an abundance of one sort of tree but I don't know what it's called, I'm sure some of you guys will be able to help.

It seems to grow in a curly wurly bendy sort of shape, the degree of bendiness differing between indiviudal trees, it has quite short internodes between branches and quite a smooth bark that seems to get gnarly with age.
The branches start very low down the trunk even on thick old ones and the twigs have a dark brown waxy sort of look to the bark with little tapered buds. The buds seem to grow into a smooth hard light brown ball about as big as a marble or a gobstopper.

Any ideas ?

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Snap off a twig and see if its a stringy cordage type of bark that comes off with it.
Could be willow, or elm although the larger buds as they age sounds a bit mad. That could be galls on an oak, but they have reddish buds in a cluster.
Pics are the way to go fella.
Look under the trees if in a group for the most occuring leaf type and try to id from that, as well as using the location.

Good luck.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
the fruit / buds are those ones you see lying about in summer all dried out with what look like woodworm holes in them, they're dark brown.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Not Oak apples are they??

url

Looky here for more oak info

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/trees/quercus/oak-identify.asp

Last edited:

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
That's the badger Dave, i've looked for Oak trees on Google images and that's defiinitely the right shape. The twigs and bark are just right in that pic too.

So... excuse my ignorance but, isn't an Oak tree supposed to have acorns ?

Last edited:

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
R3XXY,

Get yourself a good tree identification guide and carry it with you. Some of the better ones have many pages of good quality photos. I have a couple that will easily fit into a jacket pocket. They are just invaluable.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
A few other types of wasp cause different types of galls too of different sizes. Spangle galls are small and several can be found under one leaf.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Glad to be of assistance. The "Collins" range of identification books are good to start with. and if you want a packsized one the collins "gem" series

campervanman20

Feb 17, 2010
essex
Hi there im doing a conservation course at writtle college, and i would gladly like to help you with any tree id problemes you may have. It will also help me with keeping the names fresh in my head. Are you looking to do latin or brithish names?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Actually can you suggest a good pocket guide Chinkapin. I have the Collins one which is great. Tad too big for carrying around though.

EDIT: Just seen maddaves post

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
collins tree ident is about the best one, you do`nt wont one with photos in it, drawing are best.......yes the book is a bit big, but you can always take a bit of the tree home to look it up. As a tree surgeon and forester this is one of the best bits of kit i`ve bort !

happy hunting

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I spotted the Collins Gem in waterstones yesterday and had a flick through, looks very good, and nice easily small enough to take anywhere.

Thanks Campervanman, I'm just after the British names.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Collins gem are very basic, but give some idea on some trees. Use it in combination with leaf, pics, and a decent field guide (collins/kingfisher and a few others), at home or the car, especially if dealing with non natives, cultivars, ect which unfortunetly dominate many areas.

Anything with Alan Mitchell's name on it is worth getting and he used to be collins main auther on trees. He did a larger sized A4 book too that offered different and sometimes better detail in the drawings and text than the field guides. I got my copy for the stupidly cheap price of £3 at the works a few years ago and his field guide in hardback for free. Needed some stickytape to fix it mind :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE