Help with Sami Belt Order (Duodji)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have seen pictures of Sami carrying various odds and ends on their belts with individual items attached to what appears to be a disc of carved antler and that disc being attached to the wearers belt. Picture here from Pekka Tuominen's site.

Does anyone have any pictures, or links to pictures of this set up? Any written descriptions of the Sami 'belt order' :D

My fiancée has a nice little puukko, sewing kit and a few other bits 'n' bobs, I quite fancy carving one of these discs to hold them all together. Any help would be appreciated.

sami_crafts.jpg

:D

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Thanks for sharing. That's not something I've seen before. Are you sure it's antler, could be metal (maybe brass). I've not worked with antler, but the holes look awfully close to the edge.

I would be inclined to go for a plain round section ring. But what is in the picture gives more scope for decoration and interpretation.

Good luck and enjoy your project, it looks like an interesting one. Pictures wil be expected. :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
...That's not something I've seen before. Are you sure it's antler, could be metal (maybe brass). I've not worked with antler, but the holes look awfully close to the edge...

Yes I think you are correct, the one in that image is brass, however I think most are carved from horn, hopefully someone will turn up some better images.

:)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Ive got plenty of horns if you need any

Thanks for the offer :You_Rock_

However I think the postage would be prohibitive, happily there is much more of an 'old craft' type community over here, and bones and horn are available from three craft nearby craft shops, and also from my butcher :D

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I have never heard about any special "belt order" for the saamis.
The women used to carry their tools in a belt ring/disk (like the one on your first picture). Their tools was most often needles, scissors, knife, spoon and money pouch. Items they used daily (also like your first pic).
Some old belt rings below.
beltespenne_norskfolkemuseum-copy1.jpg

arjeplogb10.jpg

What is more important is the belt (at least up north). Your fiancee (unmarried) should wear a belt with round silver jewelery attached:) . Married people use square, golden jewelery.

Tor

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE